AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Outbound Affiliate Links properly?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I am an affiliate and have a number of websites on which I promote a number of products.

My question is how has everyone structured their event goals for this?

For example, I'm doing this at the moment through GTM:

Category: Outbound Affiliate Link

Action: Amazon (which is the brand Im promoting)

Label: www.amazon.com/shoes1 (which is the full click url)

1. Is there an advantage of structuring the event goals by hierarchy (most important category, then action, then label etc..)? AS in, if I put the click url in the Action field instead of the Label and the brand name in the Label field instead of the Action, will this make a difference to me?
  2. Are you tracking placement? and if yes, what and how did you do this or where you suggest I add this in?
  3. Come specific promotions, be it seasonal etc..., how would this fit in the event goal structure? Do you cloak your urls differently and how does this fit in the event goal structure?

There is a lot here but just want to hear your thoughts of how you structured your event goals for affiliate links?

I really look forward to your feedback on what and how you are doing this?

Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author chris s
November 2016

Re: Tracking Outbound Affiliate Links properly?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Since it looks like there may not be much experience with this topic on the Community, I'd recommend that you try posting your questions on the Google Tag Manager forums to see if you can get in touch with some experts there.

Good luck!

Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author chris s
November 2016

Re: Tracking Outbound Affiliate Links properly?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Since it looks like there may not be much experience with this topic on the Community, I'd recommend that you try posting your questions on the Google Tag Manager forums to see if you can get in touch with some experts there.

Good luck!

Cassie

Tracking Outbound Affiliate Links properly?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you find out more on how to do it? I am in the same kind of situation (I have a website with outbound links to Amazon (affiliate), and would like to create a goal of the type "click on amazon link")

here's a question I just posted about this: 

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Tracking-Goals/Tracking-Outbound-Clicks-a...