AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Totally New To Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am totally new to Adwords so I would be gratefull for any and all advice you can give me after reading my post!

I have a website which is really just a hobbie for me at this time but I would love to be able to make money off it when I retire in about ten years.

I would however, like to make a little money to cover the cost of my hobbie and so I have decided to use Adwords to try and make a little money by putting PPC adds on my site and also by promoting affiliate products.

I am sure that there is a load of other people out there who have had a success with adwords when used in this way so I would love some input from them.

My hobbie is building computers and running and maintaining them and also installing software and just about anything to do with computers.

I would also like to here from people who have tried and failed when using Adwords as I don't want to make the same mistakes.

It stands to reason I will be keeping my budget quite low until I master the in's and out's of things.

I am keen to get started so I haven't had time to totally search this forum so please forgive me if I am duplicating something that might have already been asked.

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Totally New To Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you're looking to place ads on your site then you want to check out Adsense.  Adwords is for promoting your business, products and hobbies on other sites or along side google search results.

Visit:  http://www.google.com/ads/

Choose 'Get started with Adsense' - I have a feeling this is what you are looking for.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you're looking to place ads on your site then you want to check out Adsense.  Adwords is for promoting your business, products and hobbies on other sites or along side google search results.

Visit:  http://www.google.com/ads/

Choose 'Get started with Adsense' - I have a feeling this is what you are looking for.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oops!

Sorry I forgot to add!

I have adsense on my site which I make a little money from but I thought if I could bring in a few new people from the adwords I might benifit with clicks from them.

I am also using my free Adwords £75.00 voucher so it's not so bad at the momment.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dobbin,

Nice to have you here!

Thanks for the info about what you are planning to do.  Sounds like you want to offer your own services + try to make money with running AdSense ads?  Tom provided the link to AdSense which you should check out but I also wanted to comment this part of your message:

"I am sure that there is a load of other people out there who have had a success with adwords when used in this way so I would love some input from them."

To set realistic expectations for you I wanted to add there are just as many (or probably more) who have failed at the affiliate and adsense thing.  The problem basically being too much competition and costs that exceed profits and a tough and sometimes long term learning curve when it comes to adwords (if you plan to use that to drive traffic)  Smiley Happy  

You might be best off to get yourself started with advertising your computer services and then get into the adsense and affiliate thing.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Dobbin22,

Ok...that was an important piece of info there, thanks for clarifying.

It almost seems like you have 2 discussion points here.

1.  Promoting your site using adwords

Using adwords to promote your products/services will/should generate more traffic to your site and by doing so you should be attempting to cash in on those visitors by selling them something or by providing valuable information that will get the user back to your site on a regular basis (in hopes of cashing in on affiliate/adsense clicks/purchases).

2. Affiliate Marketing

As Kim pointed out, Affiliate Marketing can be tricky and many are unsuccessful.

Using Adwords to generate traffic in hopes of getting more clicks on your affiliate/adsense ads can be counterproductive - Paying for an Adwords click to hopefully get a kick back on an affiliate click/purchase.  However, if you're selling affiliate products where you get a nice kick back and can manage the costs from both side, this could be a strategy you may want to employ over time.

The difficulty I am having here is figuring out what you can and what you want to do. 

Do you have or want to sell anything of your own (services/products)?  Are you currently selling anything of your own on your site?  What does your site currently offer that you would be promoting via Adwords?  Are you only looking to do affiliate marketing?   

-Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

Google Adwords is a great platfrom reason being the moment you start spending money, you start generating traffic. Advertising via Google adwords provides instant appreanace on web.

You can enjoy adwords benefits two ways:

1) Generate leads by advertising your product/services.

2) Earn money from the adsense ads that you have placed in your website.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your input Kim_Clink

Like I said in my post I am using my hobbie but I also have a regular job which provides my main income.

What I am trying to do with my hobbie is to build up a website that can make enough money through affiliate marketing and the PPC adsense program offered by google to boost my income when I retire.

I would love to promote £5000.00 worth of sales per month for an affiliate company if I can get 5% commission as this would go a long way to boosting my pension.

I thought if I give my computer knowledge for free it might entice people to visit my website.

For instance if I can give information to just one person for free that will fix his or her computer they might tell others or at least keep comming back to my site.

I am gratefull for your input and I still welcome all responses.

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

OK Gotcha - was not sure the purpose was the hobby turning into income or the hobby being a spin off for affiliate and adsense income.

Makes perfect sense what you are thinking of doing and building the content on the site around computer related 'stuff' will give you a good place to house your affiliate/adsense.  

Here are some links to helpful info on using adwords for affiliate and adsense ads:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=45068

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404197&from=47884&rd=1

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By the way: I would recommend you take the New Starter service, G offers once you open an account and call them within 45 first days! This is very helpful! And they take a lot time for you! Also check out the online classroom in adwords help section!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to thank everyone for their reply as it means so much to me and I don't want you to think that your help goes un-appreciated as I really do appreciate everyones help. If it wasn't for you I would most likerly waste more money than I should.

Thanks again!