Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Topics Targetting in Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

under Topics targetting I can see the Topic "Card Games" and below that "Collectible Card Games". If I set up an ad group for each will they compete against each other for the same inventory? In this case all "Collectible Card Games" are also "Card Games" meaning that in theory the same inventory is up for grabs.

Thanks,

Cormac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Topics Targetting in Display Network

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Cormac,

I would see these as competing as one topic is the parent of the other. If you were to create an AdGroup targeting each, the normal AdWords AdRank would apply to decide which ads to show I would suspect. 

If you have a higher bid for the more specific topic it should outrank the parent topic but if the parent topic had a higher bid you may find it outranks the specific topic.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Cormac,

I would see these as competing as one topic is the parent of the other. If you were to create an AdGroup targeting each, the normal AdWords AdRank would apply to decide which ads to show I would suspect. 

If you have a higher bid for the more specific topic it should outrank the parent topic but if the parent topic had a higher bid you may find it outranks the specific topic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I hope that this will not drive up the price. I would hope that in this case the AdRank would only allow the most relevant bid from my account based on the page topic rather than having two of my bids competing against each other

Thanks,

Cormac