AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Tool for wrapping only multi-word KWs in quotes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are multiple tools online that do automatic KW wrapping (you paste in list of keywords, it spits them back out with brackets or quotes around them). However, between the AW interface and Editor, most of these are pretty pointless - we have fast ways to do these things.

The ONE thing that would be a major time saver for me would be for Negative KWs - the interface just sucks here for some reason. What I'm looking for is a tool where I can paste in a list of keywords, and it detects which have two or more words (or which keywords contain a [space]), and only puts quotes around those, leaving the single-word NKWs as broad match. 

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tool for wrapping only multi-word KWs in quotes?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Garrett.

Google Sheets + a function such as =if(iserror(find(" ",A1)),A1,concatenate("""",A1,"""")) should do the trick.

Just put all your negative KWs in Column A and populate Column B with that formula. If it finds a space it adds quotes around the cell to the left, otherwise it leaves it as it is.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
In Editor 11+, filter on KeywordWordCount>1 , then Edit > Select All (Ctrl+A), then change the match type for all keywords at once via Type drop-down at the bottom.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was looking to use them for shared NKW lists, which as far as I know can't be edited from within editor. Is there an easy way to download a list from editor and then upload it into a shared NKW list (I can't find a way). If so, this could still be a great timehack. Thanks for the info so far!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I should have clarified, where I really need this is for Shared NKW lists. Is there any way to take a Google Sheet and upload or incorporate those? I'm not seeing a way. It seems like the Shared NKW section of the interface is frustratingly lacking in features, and the features it does have make little sense.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Set up keywords the way you want them in Editor. Select them, do Edit > Copy keyword text or placement URL. In the online interface, go to Shared library > Campaign negative keywords, select the list, click Add, and paste into the box. That command in Editor puts keyword text in the format that the online interface accepts - with quotes and square brackets indicating match type.

Though honestly, at that point, Excel formula seems to be less trouble.