AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Too many words in a keyword limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Is there a limit to the no. of words I can use in a keyword (Exact match). 

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kidakaka
September 2015

Re: Too many words in a keyword limit

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi kidakaka, I think you're referring to how many words you can actually have in a single "keyword", e.g.

[this is a lot of words inside one single exact match]

If this is what you're after, I think it'll be a character limit rather than a number of words but I have to say I'm struggling to find a definitive limit in the Help guides.  Have you tried your longest keyword?  Do you get an error message?

As I'm sure you know, bear in mind that with an exact (or phrase) match keyword, the more words you have, the more precise the search term is going to have to be.  With an exact match I'd be very careful not to exclude too many searches.

Can you let us know why you're worried about a limit; what might cause it to be a problem?

In the meantime I'll try and find a definitive answer...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

There is indeed a limit of 10 words in a keyword. This is independent of a character limit - you would get an error if you try to add "a b c d e f g h i j k". This is not specific to Editor - you would get the same error if you attempt to add such a keyword in the web interface.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello kidakaka; welcome;

Check this discussion, where purefuzz summarized all Adwords account's limits

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keywords/m-p/75702#M7170

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi kidakaka, I think you're referring to how many words you can actually have in a single "keyword", e.g.

[this is a lot of words inside one single exact match]

If this is what you're after, I think it'll be a character limit rather than a number of words but I have to say I'm struggling to find a definitive limit in the Help guides.  Have you tried your longest keyword?  Do you get an error message?

As I'm sure you know, bear in mind that with an exact (or phrase) match keyword, the more words you have, the more precise the search term is going to have to be.  With an exact match I'd be very careful not to exclude too many searches.

Can you let us know why you're worried about a limit; what might cause it to be a problem?

In the meantime I'll try and find a definitive answer...

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes. I was using adwords editor to import a campaign, when the editor gave me a "too many words" error.

I got this error when I was using more than 10 words in an exact match keyword. Can someone confirm this. 

I checkeged Adwords limits and there is a 80 character limit on a keyword. My keyword was at 65 characters, but still I was getting this error. I tried searching in Google Help for a definitive limit, but could not find one. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I've raised a flag, kidakaka, someone with knowledge should be along shortly Smiley Happy

Ten words in an exact match is a lot, that's a very very very precise requirement.  Do you have evidence that people are searching on this precise match frequently?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, the keyword was triggered in my search term report. We have been monitoring the campaigns for about a year or so now and are learning more stuff about account management as time passes.

One such learning was that we were not really doing that well in terms of adding the long tail keywords, hence we were really going after all the possible long tail keywords that we could think of. Although the search term report shows that the term was searched, when I ran the same via the keyword tool, I am getting zero searches. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

It's quite easy to get carried away with keywords... Smiley Happy  If that search term was only used once (or even only a few times) in a reasonable period (say a few months) I really wouldn't add it as an exact match.  It's possible to positively harm your account performance by having too many keywords that don't perform and your aim should usually be to pare down a keyword list until you're left only with words that work regularly and well.

You've also got to consider scale.  Lets say your campaigns accrue 1000 clicks a month.  If 10 or so keywords account for 975 of those clicks, is it really worth having a list of 2000 keywords just for the other 25 clicks? (especially if they don't convert!).  It's better practice to keep a list of only those 10 and concentrate on improving their performance than it is to keep a long list of keywords, most of which have 0 clicks in a period.

Of course, you've got to make sure you're not missing important search terms which is why I'd always recommend a period of "data trawling" and some regular experiments to capture new trends.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

There is indeed a limit of 10 words in a keyword. This is independent of a character limit - you would get an error if you try to add "a b c d e f g h i j k". This is not specific to Editor - you would get the same error if you attempt to add such a keyword in the web interface.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response Igor,

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Cobnut wrote:

It's quite easy to get carried away with keywords... Smiley Happy  If that search term was only used once (or even only a few times) in a reasonable period (say a few months) I really wouldn't add it as an exact match.  It's possible to positively harm your account performance by having too many keywords that don't perform and your aim should usually be to pare down a keyword list until you're left only with words that work regularly and well.

You've also got to consider scale.  Lets say your campaigns accrue 1000 clicks a month.  If 10 or so keywords account for 975 of those clicks, is it really worth having a list of 2000 keywords just for the other 25 clicks? (especially if they don't convert!).  It's better practice to keep a list of only those 10 and concentrate on improving their performance than it is to keep a long list of keywords, most of which have 0 clicks in a period.

Of course, you've got to make sure you're not missing important search terms which is why I'd always recommend a period of "data trawling" and some regular experiments to capture new trends.

Jon

Jon, that's helpful. We were really going overboard with a huge set of keywords. What I would like to know further is what do you mean by non-performing keywords hurting my account performance?

With non-performing do you mean keywords which have low CTR, or do you mean keywords with low Impressions. 

Meta Question - Do I raise this as a new question :-)