Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Too many clicks but no customers calling

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day,

I posted an ad for 5 days, i saw that there were too many clicks but no customer interactions. hence paying money for something which did not work out. help out on this.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Too many clicks but no customers calling

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi Owen,

To go back to Abhinav's question, how are you tracking your phone calls? If you don't have any sort of tracking set up through AdWords, it's going to be very hard to track whether you're spending money the right way on your ads. And even if you can ask people how they heard about you, they might not know if they found you through a Google ad, Google organic search, or somewhere else.

What I would recommend is a) making sure you have a call extension shut up (which is where your phone number goes on the ad), and b) make sure you have turning on call tracking. That way, you will see it right within AdWords if someone called you from clicking the call button on your ad.

You can find this under the Ad Extensions Tab > View: Call Extensions > +Extension to add your phone number. When you set it up, you should see an option for using a Google Forwarding number if you're in a country that supports this feature. Select this, save it, and you'll have call tracking turned on (or at least the easiest version of it!).

Please see here for a walkthrough with screenshots.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Owen,

Are you really getting calls for those clicks?

If no, check the phone number if you have used a wrong number.

If you are getting calls but they are not tracked by adwords then:
Check your conversion tracking.
What duration you have set to count a conversion?

To limit the unnecessary impressions and clicks:
Change the match type of keywords, if they are in broad or modified broad then switch to phrase or exact.
Use negative keywords from the search term report to limit the ads for irrelevant searches and clicks.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How are you tracking your calls? Also, is your ad relevant to the search? Have you looked at negative  keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I haven't received any calls from the ad. Hence i just removed it

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Have you checked whether you have mentioned a wrong number in your ads?

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will try to check that

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Yes, as it seems the only error if there are a lot of clicks but no call.
Either you have mentioned a wrong number in the ads or the number mentioned is not working.

Regards
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi Owen,

To go back to Abhinav's question, how are you tracking your phone calls? If you don't have any sort of tracking set up through AdWords, it's going to be very hard to track whether you're spending money the right way on your ads. And even if you can ask people how they heard about you, they might not know if they found you through a Google ad, Google organic search, or somewhere else.

What I would recommend is a) making sure you have a call extension shut up (which is where your phone number goes on the ad), and b) make sure you have turning on call tracking. That way, you will see it right within AdWords if someone called you from clicking the call button on your ad.

You can find this under the Ad Extensions Tab > View: Call Extensions > +Extension to add your phone number. When you set it up, you should see an option for using a Google Forwarding number if you're in a country that supports this feature. Select this, save it, and you'll have call tracking turned on (or at least the easiest version of it!).

Please see here for a walkthrough with screenshots.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
do you have extensions on your ads ? the page your ads lead to should be relevant to ad description

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Owen, assuming you have setup call extensions (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en) and are using Google Call Forwarding phone numbers to track calls (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052), then it is most likely an issue of poor keyword choice and/or excessive use of the display network. Based on your description, I would speculate the latter. I would suggest starting with a campaign that includes Google Search network only. This can be done in Campaign Settings.

Also, be sure you have a way to track calls from visitors to your landing page. Do a test call and make sure it is being tracked as expected. Best of luck.