AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

To what maximum distance location extension works?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all,

afstand location extension.jpg

Does this mean max 60 km the location extension does work?

I do not see it documented anywhere what the distance is.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Re: To what maximum distance location extension works?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It took me a while to find this page to understand what you are talking about, the radius around "each location extension"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2914785?hl=en

The answer is no, you can target 64.37 km around each location extension,Smiley Happy using the 40 miles instead of 60 km.

radius-location-extension-40-miles.png

miles-to-kilometers-conversion.png

Of course if they wanted to use exact metric conversions they could have limited the miles to 37.3 to be more accurate , but it seems that location targeting is an aproximate concept. Also people visiting from VPNs could show up from their VPN location not from their real location.

miles-to-kilometers-conversion-2.png

radius-location-extension-one-decimal.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It took me a while to find this page to understand what you are talking about, the radius around "each location extension"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2914785?hl=en

The answer is no, you can target 64.37 km around each location extension,Smiley Happy using the 40 miles instead of 60 km.

radius-location-extension-40-miles.png

miles-to-kilometers-conversion.png

Of course if they wanted to use exact metric conversions they could have limited the miles to 37.3 to be more accurate , but it seems that location targeting is an aproximate concept. Also people visiting from VPNs could show up from their VPN location not from their real location.

miles-to-kilometers-conversion-2.png

radius-location-extension-one-decimal.png

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Adrian.

This question arose because in the demonstration videos you always see someone walking with the mobile phone in hand. So I was thinking location extension was about someone doing shopping in the city walkin or on bicycle. Or driving nearby to find somthing he\she needed at that moment.

And a never did think about the maximum distance the location targeting extension works. So I did wonder now.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think there are large areas where you may pick up visits from main cities and you would want to track those visitors also when they go home with their laptops for remarketing purposes , after working in the main city.

This is the only reason I could think of , that this 60 km radius could be used for.

Also if the location targeting allows only main cities as it happens in many countries , using a radius is the only option to pick up more visits from small nearby cities which are not listed in the locations list.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

To complete the topic, I took a look at the most nearest targeting

I wonder if the difference between mile and km does matter. i think as you wrote it are all approximately distances.

location targeting near by.png

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You wrote :

"Also if the location targeting allows only main cities as it happens in many countries , using a radius is the only option to pick up more visits from small nearby cities which are not listed in the locations list."

I did not think of that. Because in my country i can use zip-code targeting. But I think it does matter in other countries.

Thanks