Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Tips For Writting Effective Ad Copy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody !

I'm trainee in an Adwords course and my boss ask me to write an essay " How to write an effective ad copy"

I googled but it seemed to be not full as I 've expected. Can you give me some link or tips about this ? I really need them.

Thanks so much !

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tips For Writting Effective Ad Copy

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Check out Google best practices:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6089776?hl=en

Other useful resources:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080580?rd=1
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Ad-Text-Tips/ba-p/50624

My only advise to you is to test 3 or 4 ads per ad group and use different messages for each to see which does the best.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Quynh,

Here are some tips on writing good ad copies:

- Make your messaging clear and concise
- Excessive capitalization is big NO i.e. something like FREE is not allowed
- You can however capitalize words in your ad copy i.e. Here is an Example of a Good Ad Copy
- Repetition is not allowed I.e. Free Free Free is not allowed
- Only one Question mark (?) & one Exclamation mark (!) allowed per ad copy
- Use a clear CTA to tell your audience clearly what you want them to do
- Use Keywords from your ad groups in the ad copy as well to build relevance
- Use 2 to 3 different ad messaging per ad group to test which messaging works better for you

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jane Dao
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
... and what does your Boss mean by "effective ad copy"?

The others who replied both hit the nail on the head - test, test and then test some more.

I have been writing copy for more that 25 years.... and I'm proud of some of it. Actually, most of it - although I cringe at some when I go back and reread it ;-)

Despite this - I am regularly surprised by which ads work and which ones don't. The truth is, no one really knows... we have experience and we can apply that, but the only people who know what really pushes their buttons are your market themselves... which is why you should test all the time.

There are some great tips in this thread, and most of them will help improve your ads. But nothing is guaranteed - and there will still be surprises.

And going back to your Boss's question... when he says effective, does he mean an ad that gets a great CTR, or and ad the converts well? An ad that improves the quality scores of the keywords, or one that filters out the time-wasters... sometimes we use ad copy to put people off clicking on the ad. As an example, imagine you are selling an expensive watch that only a relatively select group of people can afford you might decide to put the price in the ad so that people that cannot afford the watch would not click on the ad (actually - that's maybe not a good example as perhaps many people would like to know what a $20,000 watch looks like - but I'm sure you get the point). So let's say you get a much reduced CTR - does that make this a bad ad? Probably not.

So whilst I don't want you to get into trouble with your Boss - we should be establishing the benchmarks before we start - and some of the obvious ones are perhaps not the best indicators.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Quynh,

I toally agree with Steve!
Shashank & Ahmed Ali have given you the best practices for ad copy writing... those are hygiene points and must haves... but as Steve put it.. "nothing is guaranteed".. In a the online world.. you never know what works... but the best part about AdWords is that it is so quick... which means you can test as much as you want!

To answer your boss.. Heres what I would have structured my answer:
1. start with an introduction to AdWords ads an standard best practices..
2. talk about setting goals for your AdWords campaigns and how your ads should adhere to best practices while keeping your end goal in mind.
3. your ads need to be tweaked according to your goals which would be either:
- getting more clicks (increase in CTR)
- getting more conversions (final goal completions)
The messaging (USPs, Call to action, tone of voice etc.) you use in your ad will change basis the KPI you select.
for example - if I were selling cellphones.. and I was to run a branding campaign for a new phone launch - I would probably have an ad that talks about how my product uses the latest technology or is the slimmest phone and would probably use CTAs to attract people to simply come and check out my new phone.
If the KPI was conversions(in this case sales of my phone).. I would focus on the price compared to other phones, the top features, discounts, free shipping, days to delivery etc.

4. Ads are written not only basis the products you sell, but also the customers you wish to attract, the intent of those customers to complete your final advertising goal.
Thus, the kind of targeting you do is also extremely important to know before you write ads.

I would write different ads for different keyword themes on the Google Search network also basis where those people would be in the buying cycle/purchase funnel.
for example - people searching for "latest phones" versus people searching for "slim stylish phone" or "long battery life smartphones" or "buy XYZ smartphone" or "deals on XYZ smartphone", "order XYZ smartphone online" etc...
each of these queries means that the user is in a different phase in the buying cycle and hence would need different messaging to attract them to my website...
Also, the ads that I use on the search network is not something that I would use on the GDN.
On the GDN, the users most likely do not have the intent to purchase the product.. but to research about it yet. I need to grab the attention of those users reading about something related to my product (contextual or topic targeting) and ensure that when they want to purchase they remember my website and purchase from there. The ads for these users would be different.
For user based targeting (ICM/affinity etc.), people have even lesser intent to purchase.. so here you need to probably run more branding based campaigns with ads that talk about your brand and its USPs over your product.

Hope this helps!

Also, I would love to read what you finally submit to your boss.. so if you can... please post it on this thread!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!