AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Three Instances for ​keyword conflicts & increase in cost (Across campaigns, adgroups, within group)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

Need some clarification below:

1. Scenario 1 - Across campaigns

Search Query - premium content writing services newyork  

Campaign 1: Locations
Ad group; Newyork
Keyword: +content +writing +services +newyork
Negative: "None"
Bid: 5$

Campaign 2: Services
Adgroup: Content writing
Keyword: +content +writing +services 
Negative: "None"​
Bid: 5$

In the above scenario-

1. Does my both keywords conflict with each other in an auction when there is a search query? 
2. Does that increase my per click costing?  
3. Excepting the duplicate keywords do the keywords really compete with each other in an account (at campaign level)​? 

Scenario 2: Across adgroups 

Search Query - premium content writing services newyork   ​

Campaign - Content writing

Ad group: Newyork

Keyword: +content +writing +services +newyork
Bid: 5$

Adgroup: General - Content writing

Keyword: +content +writing +services 
Negative: "None"​
Bid: 5$​

In the above scenario- 

1. Does my both keywords conflict with each other in an auction when there is a search query? 
3. Excepting the duplicate keywords do the keywords really compete with each other in an account (at adgroup level)​? ​

Scenario 3: With in an adroup

Search Query - premium content writing services newyork   ​

Campaign - Content writing
Ad group: Newyork
Keyword 1: +content +writing +services +newyork (bid 5$)
Keyword 2: +content +writing +services (bid 5$_

In the above scenario- 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Three Instances for ​keyword conflicts & increase in cost (Across campaigns, adgroups, withi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Scenario 1

1. Yes, to an extent, because both these keywords are eligible to trigger ads for the search query you mentioned. Having said that, AdWords would prefer to pick the ad from campaign 1 if the overall ad rank in both the campaigns is equal. Why?

Because AdWords tends to pick the one that matches more precisely. However, if the ad rank in campaign 2 becomes better, there’s no wonder that AdWords would start triggering ads from it for the search query in question. 

To sum up, the game is of relevance and the ad rank. 

What to do? I would advise you to use ‘newyork’ as the negative in campaign 2. In further optimisation, if you see that more search queries with ‘premium’ term are triggering ads from campaign 1, better add a keyword with this term in that campaign and add it as negative in campaign 2.

It will make sure that you are making conflicts go minimal and the overall account’s health is in good shape. This way it will be easier for you to manage and monitor performance. 

2. No, it does not, directly. But you cannot actually set aside its indirect impact on performance. When you have many keywords fighting for the same auction, the in-account scores for the losing keywords would go worse. It means a lower QS for them. And then, yes it will impact your overall costs. Whatever click you will get from those keywords with low QS keywords would be costing you more.

3. Yes, they do like already explained above. 

Scenario 2 -

Everything applies as said above. Why? It makes no difference whether you have similar keywords in the same campaign and in two different ad groups, or in two different campaigns. A conflict a conflict. AdWords will take only one keyword to the auction if your other targeting settings like geography, device etc. are the same. The answer to this issue is - embedded negatives.

Scenario 3- 

Yes, everything said in the explanation of the first scenario applies here as well. Though, you won't be able to use negatives in this case. If you need to keep them both, the wise would be to use different bids on them based on their relevance and performance. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: Three Instances for ​keyword conflicts & increase in cost (Across campaigns, adgroups, withi

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Ratan, 
Thanks for your reply. I am clear with all the points specified. However, I have query with below point: 

2. No, it does not, directly. But you cannot actually set aside its indirect impact on performance. When you have many keywords fighting for the same auction, the in-account scores for the losing keywords would go worse. It means a lower QS for them. And then, yes it will impact your overall costs. Whatever click you will get from those keywords with low QS keywords would be costing you more.

Does that suggest that in the conflict between keywords:
+content +writing +services   (Bid - 5, QS- 9/10, Been there for long time)
+content +writing +services +newyork (Bid 5, QS-6/10, added newly)

If at all in the initial stages if the ad rank is lower for "+content +writing +services +newyork" & is constantly losing for every query (premium content translation services in newyork) will it hit the lower QS (lower than 6) & cost me more per click ? 

Three Instances for ​keyword conflicts & increase in cost (Across campaigns, adgroups, within group)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Wordsurg B

Yes, if we have keywords which lose most often, it will have a lower score over time and then whatever click we get on them will cost higher than usual. This is the reson one needs to either improve scores by establishing better relevance and improving interaction rates or pause them and focus on exploring better keyword options instead.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter 

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ratan. Very helpful.