Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 

So I've just created a campaign and an ad, and just added some keywords.

I want basically to reach english speaking countries, so I've selected as a target, US, NZ, Australia, Ireland etc...

And I want users to reach my ad when they enter "buy cheap packaging in China".

So some of my keywords are like "cheap packaging China".

But Adwords tells me that my ad won't show because: "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: China"

I know that I am not targeting China, but I want "china" to be included in the user search query.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Yann

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yann L
June

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yann L,

What you can do is that, you can change the campaign settings>> Targeting Method - People in My Targeted Location. I have ran such campaigns and it works well. Just exclude China as well and then also select the settings Exclusion Method: People in my Excluded Location

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

CP

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Adding the location as part of the keywords signals a location by intent. This is a redundancy.  If you target Chiuna (all of China ?- it's huge....)  you don't need to include "China" within the keyword. Set it at the location targeting 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. But if users search are "buy hardcover books" it's far too wide compared to a search with "buy hardcover books in China". The relevancy would be far greater with China inside the keyword. Or am I wrong?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

>>" The relevancy would be far greater with China inside the keyword. Or am I wrong?

What relevancy?? Location name signals geographic intent not  a keyword relevancy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am targeting English speaking countries, US, UK, NZ, AU etc... So my ads display only in these countries. I am not targeting any Chinese potential customers.

But I want that english speaking users find my add is they want to make their "hardcover books" in "China". People who would type only "Hardcover books" might only be looking to buy hardcover books in their native country. People living in english speaking countries typing "hardcover books" and "China" in their search queries are likely to be interested in having their hardcover books manufactured in China.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yann L
June

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yann L,

What you can do is that, you can change the campaign settings>> Targeting Method - People in My Targeted Location. I have ran such campaigns and it works well. Just exclude China as well and then also select the settings Exclusion Method: People in my Excluded Location

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

CP

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! I'll try this right away.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

>>""Hardcover books" might only be looking to buy hardcover books in their native country."

Nope ..

This is not the way it works. The audience / users who are shown the ad are only those based on  in the location targeted. In this case: China