AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

The ad group this ad belongs to has no active keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So I'm trying to set up my ad campaign, and I've added all my keywords and what not (269 actually)

But on the ole "Ad Status" it has "Campaign paused" And when I click on that it says "The ad group this ad belongs to has no active keywords." So I said to myself righto, Went to my AdGroup, made sure the keywords there were all enabled, seemed to be exactly the same settings, and had the Green enabled dot next to all 269 of them.

But then if I click on "campaign paused" Under Keywords it says

Showing ads right now?
No

• The keyword phrase doesn't currently trigger any of your ads. What can I do?

And the What can I do link takes me to some unrelated crap about my ads not showing, I can't even get them enabled let alone have trouble not showing them!
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rhys Williams
September 2015

Re: The ad group this ad belongs to has no active keywords.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rhys, welcome to the Community.

You're kinda dancing around the most important message of the whole lot there, it's CAMPAIGN Paused.  The Campaign is a level above Ad Groups, Ads and Keywords so if the Campaign is paused nothing else will happen.

I'll admit the messages in the Ads and Keywords are misleading but I think the root of the whole problem is the Campaign itself it paused.  Click on the Campaigns tab and check the status of the Campaign itself.

While we're on... you have 269 Keywords in a single Ad Group?  That's quite a lot...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rhys Williams
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rhys, welcome to the Community.

You're kinda dancing around the most important message of the whole lot there, it's CAMPAIGN Paused.  The Campaign is a level above Ad Groups, Ads and Keywords so if the Campaign is paused nothing else will happen.

I'll admit the messages in the Ads and Keywords are misleading but I think the root of the whole problem is the Campaign itself it paused.  Click on the Campaigns tab and check the status of the Campaign itself.

While we're on... you have 269 Keywords in a single Ad Group?  That's quite a lot...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well now I feel like an idiot, haha, thanks Jon, yes it was just as simple as enabling the Campaign, how many keywords are acceptable for a single ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rhys,

Best practice would be to have few keywords per ad group. First of all, because you want to have tailored ads for each ad group; secondly, because you want to keep your structure nice and tidy, so to control spend allocation and, possibly, tailor extensions, if available.

Otto