AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting users who searched X Keyword also in the Display Network?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, 

Suppose a user searches for "flowers from brazil" on google, and they don't click on my add. Is there anyway I can "follow" them on the Display Network showing my "flowers from brazil" ads? Will that be automatic? 

This is not retargeting because the user never visited my site, but he showed "interest" so I would like to 'follow' them on the display network.

I am not sure if AdWords does this by default or I have to do something.

Thanks in advance and excuse if this a basic question.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Targeting users who searched X Keyword also in the Display Network

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Yakito,

MosheTLV has given you the answer to your question, no you can not. I am going to offer a few alternatives that you may or may not like.

As stated you can not target a user that has typed in keyword x if they have clicked your ad or visited your site. But there are ways to target users similar to that, let me explain.

When a user visits your site the are added to a remarketing list (provided you have the code on your site). When this list becomes populated with enough data adwords is able to provide you with a list called similar audiences. You can then target this list with your ads. This list is built up of profiles of people who are similar to the people who have been on your site.

Learn about similar audiences here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2676774?hl=en

The other option you have is on the display network, while you may not be able to target those specific users you are able to target a wealth of different types of audiences on the display network, such as topics based arounf your service, interests, specific web pages that you believe your audience visits. Or even websites that contain keywords of your chosing.

learn about the different display targeting here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404191?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Yakito;
This is a nice question
Adwords offers re-targeting only to users previously visited the site.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Yakito,

MosheTLV has given you the answer to your question, no you can not. I am going to offer a few alternatives that you may or may not like.

As stated you can not target a user that has typed in keyword x if they have clicked your ad or visited your site. But there are ways to target users similar to that, let me explain.

When a user visits your site the are added to a remarketing list (provided you have the code on your site). When this list becomes populated with enough data adwords is able to provide you with a list called similar audiences. You can then target this list with your ads. This list is built up of profiles of people who are similar to the people who have been on your site.

Learn about similar audiences here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2676774?hl=en

The other option you have is on the display network, while you may not be able to target those specific users you are able to target a wealth of different types of audiences on the display network, such as topics based arounf your service, interests, specific web pages that you believe your audience visits. Or even websites that contain keywords of your chosing.

learn about the different display targeting here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404191?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944

Hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nice solution by Clynton.
I, personally, don't like interests / similar audiences much since I once checked the interests the system attributed to me (on the "ad preferences" of "my account"), and was amazed by the topics Google thinks I have an interest in... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey MosheTLV,

They are not always specific enough, but I do like to use them in the beginning to get a feel for the lay of the land as it were. I tend to then use these campaigns to develop a manged placements campaign and then begin to combine targeting options to get a more tailored audience.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot, that is really interesting. I will start implementing and testing your suggestion.