Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting to Countries other than my own

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I've joined the community because I'm struggling to understand how to use AdWords in an international context. I'm an individual user trying to sell my house in the (admittedly ambitious) hope that I might avoid 5% real estate agent fees by attracting potential buyers to a web-site I've spent 3 months writing to market my house in Thailand. I want to market my house to Google searchers in places like Singapore and China but because my keywords naturally reference Thailand it seems that Google only allow my ads to show in Thailand. I've read through lots of Google literature and video tutorials but can't find anything reflecting my particular scenario. Many thanks.

< NOTE: This thread has been moved by a Community Manager from the "New to this Community? Introduce yourself" thread to a new thread that is more appropriate for this conversation. >

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julian G
March 2016

Re: New to this Community? Introduce yourself.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Julian G wrote:
 Now maybe that's because Google does separate auctions for each country and perhaps I'm ranking high in Thailand but not in Singapore.

That's exactly it. When you target multiple countries like that, you're going to see this kind of geographic variation in performance, basically for two reasons:

1) The competition is probably different. When your ad matches a search in Thailand, you're going to be mostly competing against other Thai advertisers. When it matches a search in Singapore, you're also competing against advertisers who may be targeting Singapore. If the competition in Singapore is stronger than competition in Thailand, it's going to harder to serve your ad.

2) Quality Score also takes into account geography (to some extent), so an ad/keyword pair that has high Quality Score in Thailand might be have a high an AdRank in Singapore. (AdWords doesn't break out QS by geography, so you just have to look for the effects of that kind of variation.)

So, you should absolutely expect that you may need different bids in different countries. If you're targeting all those countries in one campaign, you can use location bid adjustments to increase your bids in just the regions you're having trouble serving ads. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132#location

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julian k.

Google allows you when you're setting your campaign to target the location
where you want

your ads show. What I mean is that you can stay in Thailand and your ads
are going to show in

China and Singapore. To set a campaign with location targeting, first, sign
in to your Adwords

account, click the CAMPAIGNS TAB and on the campaign you want to modify.

After that,chose the SETTINGS TAB and click on EDIT next to Locations.
Right there, put

the information for the locality where you want your ad show, like country,
city, and click ADD to

add the location. And you're done, you can add more location if you want,
but one at the time.

I hope this help you in your campaign setting.

--
​​
Siaka K

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove contact information. This is done to protect security and privacy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Siaka

Actually I have already added 5 countries to my campaign as you describe. The problem is that when I perform an ad preview and diagnosis I can only select one country at a time. So when I select Thailand (where I live) the ad preview shows up (on a mock Google Thailand search page) but when I select Singapore (or another country) it doesn't show. Now maybe that's because Google does separate auctions for each country and perhaps I'm ranking high in Thailand but not in Singapore. I'm a newbie so I'm not sure but I really don't want to have to create separate campaigns with separate bidding prices for each country - that's going to be very time-consuming. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks
Julian
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julian G
March 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Julian G wrote:
 Now maybe that's because Google does separate auctions for each country and perhaps I'm ranking high in Thailand but not in Singapore.

That's exactly it. When you target multiple countries like that, you're going to see this kind of geographic variation in performance, basically for two reasons:

1) The competition is probably different. When your ad matches a search in Thailand, you're going to be mostly competing against other Thai advertisers. When it matches a search in Singapore, you're also competing against advertisers who may be targeting Singapore. If the competition in Singapore is stronger than competition in Thailand, it's going to harder to serve your ad.

2) Quality Score also takes into account geography (to some extent), so an ad/keyword pair that has high Quality Score in Thailand might be have a high an AdRank in Singapore. (AdWords doesn't break out QS by geography, so you just have to look for the effects of that kind of variation.)

So, you should absolutely expect that you may need different bids in different countries. If you're targeting all those countries in one campaign, you can use location bid adjustments to increase your bids in just the regions you're having trouble serving ads. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132#location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Michael
Took me a while to realise I needed to set to Search Network - All Features as I couldn't find the Locations tab but got there now. I'm seeing impressions appearing in countries other than the 6 to which I want to restrict my ads. Am I right in thinking this is because they must have explicitly searched for a location included in any of my keywords? I wonder if I can switch this off although I'm not yet sure whether that would be a good idea as they might be potential customers. I know from market research that my target market is in the 6 countries.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Pretty much. Look for the "advanced location targeting" option in your campaign settings page. The default targets people in your targeted location and people searching for information about your location.

That basically means a searcher anywhere in the world can see your Thailand-targeted ad if their search query is clearly about Thailand.

So, for example, if you have "home for sale" as a keyword, anybody anywhere who searches for "Thailand home for sale" might see your ad.

If you don't want that, change the advanced targeting to target people just in your target countries.