Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting - by TLD?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can I target either the Search or Display networks by top-level domain such as .edu or .gov ?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Targeting - by TLD?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Myles,

Positive, you can. There is no restriction in regard to domain suffixes, either country specific or other ones like .gov, .org etc.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

MylesMarlow wrote:

Can I target either the Search or Display networks by top-level domain such as .edu or .gov ?

hmm... Could you please clarify your question? give some examples!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding. Say I have a client who is a nonprofit and who wants to run an adwords campaign, but only wants the ad to appear on machines at .edu or .gov domains.   In principle it's similar to top-level domains (.fr or .uk) used to target geographically. Is this possible and if so, how would I do it?  Thanks. -Myles

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi MylesMarlow

If your client is receiving a Google Grant then you won't be able to as you can't use the grant's for display - only Google search (not even search partners).

If they're not using the grant then you should be able to target .edu etc. but you may have to individually target them rather than being able to do a blanket [target .edu domains].

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kane

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

MylesMarlow wrote:

Thanks for responding. Say I have a client who is a nonprofit and who wants to run an adwords campaign, but only wants the ad to appear on machines at .edu or .gov domains.   In principle it's similar to top-level domains (.fr or .uk) used to target geographically. Is this possible and if so, how would I do it?  Thanks. -Myles

Thank you for the clarificarion: 

In AdWords, is not possible to target by top level domains the way you intent.

Also it would be a bad strategy in my point of view as your target are usual people like you and me that uses all internet and not from these top level domains.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If your client is receiving a Google Grant then you won't be able to as you can't use the grant's for display - only Google search (not even search partners).

If they're not using the grant then you should be able to target .edu etc. but you may have to individually target them rather than being able to do a blanket [target .edu domains].

Thanks Kane.  The .edu was simply an illustration. This has nothing to do with grants, it's just about reaching a relevant population at the right time.

Myles

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I get you now. I missed the 'say' in your earlier post.

Cheers
Kane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In AdWords, is not possible to target by top level domains the way you intent.

Also it would be a bad strategy in my point of view as your target are usual people like you and me that uses all internet and not from these top level domains.

Thanks for the response, Gravity. Regarding bad strategy, perhaps. In my example, the .edu constraint would narrow the target to people being engaged with an ad only while they were on an academic network. Much like a .fr targeting, which narrows the target to people who happen to be in France at the time. Depending on the advertiser this could be very useful.  From there, like everything else, relevance of keyword, ad, landing page determines the outcome.

But I'm beginning to think you're right and that it isn't possible to use Domain Targeting in AdWords. Or maybe someone else will be able shed some more light on this.  Thanks again.

Myles

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Myles,

Geo-targeting and language targeting may be better options for you. If you want to target .fr domains,  target France a French. There is no equivalent to .edu or .org.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords