AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target long tail keyword is good or bad for campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have never work with Google Adwords before. I faced problem for selecting keywords for my add. Actually i want to know that working with long tail keyword like 250+ and <600 average monthly search is good or bad. My per month budget is $200 for my campaign. Is it enough for beginner advertiser. If you don't mind please send me some resource URL for knowing how can i select best keyword and best website for my add preview.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target long tail keyword is good or bad for campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jemee,

It's quite an open question really as long tail keywords will be good in some accounts while they might do very little in others. My suggestion would be include them for now and monitor the performance, there is no harm if they are not overly expensive. If you want to get some estimates on how much a CPC will be for keywords then in your AdWords account go to Tools (located near the top of the page) and then click Keyword Planner

If you do a bit of analysis here then you can also get an idea of whether your monthly budget is going to be sufficient. Just bare in mind that relevance is a key factor to success when using AdWords so don't be too generic while building your keyword lists. Once you obtain a good ROI you can then begin to try out more generic terms.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Scott Dunroe for your answer. Can you suggest me or share any URL where i can find "How to get buyer keywords?" I am working on affiliate marketing but never use adwords before. Which type of keyword should i use for my campaign. As a beginner i faced this type of problem.

Jemee

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
When you say you are working with affiliate marketing do you mean that you are planning to advertise an affiliate product or service with AdWords? If so, is it with one of the big companies like ClickBank?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No. I am now trying to increase our business. We have a team and we provide WordPress Theme, Plugin, HTML5 Template. I want to promote this type of product via adwords.
Thank you.

Jemee

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Okay perfect.

I think you will get some good ideas from the Keyword Planner. My suggestion would be to initially try the long tail keywords you have and if there isn't enough traffic then begin to try a slightly more generic approach. You can then analyse the search query report on a daily basis to add additional keyword ideas while also cutting out irrelevant terms using negative keywords.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Here's the thing about long tail keywords.... on the one hand they can be really, really relevant - so if you target them you will get great results. Let's say you target "blue widgets for personal use in boston" if someone searches for that precise term, you're going to feature really well in the results.

But... and here is the downside - very few people are going to search for that term, so neither phrase nor exact match is going to garner many impressions.

and if you decide to use BMM then you're probably going to modify the words blue, widget and boston - which means your BMM keyword might as well be +blue +widget +boston

and once you do this you are competing with everyone else who has these three keywords in any combination or as BMM or broad match.

So - if the volume of traffic you can get on the full keyword makes sense to use it, then perfect. But in most cases as the tail gets longer, so the volume gets lower and there is a point at which the work involved and the savings made are simply not justified by the volume generated.

I tend to work the other way - although others will do things differently again - insofar as I tend to cast the net quite widely at the outset and then segment and add more specific keywords to segmented ad groups as the traffic grows.

hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
FYI: Long tails can be artificially twisted - Google tools show incorrect competition level for such keywords. You can pair Keyword Planner with SERPstat to have wider insight into competition level.