AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target location, location keywords or both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hope someone can help me. Im confused about how to deal with city keywords or location on my campaigns.

I want to advertise a dry cleaning business in 2 small neighbor cities. I am looking for the best way to advertise my main keyword -dry cleaning-

Now, just for that keyword...i want to make sure it appears in both cities, when people search for dry cleaning, and when people search for dry cleaning in cityname, cityname dry cleaning, dry cleaning cityname.

Theres only one advertiser showing for this now so im very lucky theres not a lot of competition. However theres not a lot of searches for those term on those locations..average is 30 a month.

So i want to find the best way to attack my keyword and locations. I tried different options and i cant get the results i want.

I did campaign 1 with location city1 and campaign 2 with location city2

Then i couldnt use any exact match keywords since they are low search volume, so i have been using phrase match.

"dry cleaning cityname"

"cityname dry cleaning"

"dry cleaning in cityname"

now...i did tried only "dry cleaning" but add showed under competition, average post 2

with phrase mach menitoned above my add was number 1. however...in add preview if i  only type

-dry cleaning- on search...then my add doesnt show. 

i guess this means if anyone types keyword without city name im not showing but if i add keyword without city name then im not the first top add...what am i missing here? 

How can i make sure i also show up with just "dry cleaning"? do i need another campaign with both locations? am i doing everything wrong? can anyone give me advise on how they would do this?

Thank you sooo much for your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amel G
September 2015

Re: Target location, location keywords or both?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Amel,

You are using phrase match. The query must match all words, in the same order, to trigger your ad. Try adding "dry cleaning" and "dry cleaners" as phrase match keywords. Your geo-targeting should eliminate queries from outside your target area. Geo-targeting can be tough in small cities. I would recommend targeting mobile devices, too. Geo-location can be more accurate on them

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much, i did what you mentioned. im not number 1 on those 2 phrase matches but im on list so that works.

i was hoping you could help me again Smiley Happy in one of my cities, the phrase match "dry cleaning in cityname" is low search. how can i make sure i appear when people look for that phrase? if i put only the words dry cleaning cityname as broad match my quality score lowers and my average post goes to like number 5...any suggestions?

And finally, by your advise of targeting mobile devices do you mean making an specific campaign just for mobile? just making sure so i can start it asap
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amel G
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Amel,

Couple of things here. Initial quality scores are based off of not only your current Landing page, Ad copy, and keywords, but the Historical estimation of that keywords match type.

In many of the accounts I manage, I can have a initial QS of 7/10 8/10, 9/10 10/10 but after a few days it will judge the QS based off of my campaign initiatives rather then the "historical estimates". The reverse is also true, where the initial QS is 4/10, 5/10 6/10 and and after a few day the QS rises to respectable good numbers based on all the factors that make up QS.

With that being said, you should test out using Broad match or Broad Match Modifiers. Make sure you have a good negative keyword list and vigorously watch your account and Matched Search Query data in Analytics for the terms that are clicked, and exclude terms and similar terms via Negative Keywords.

Don't let the initial lower QS from a campaign start up prevent you from a good and proper setup. Be diligent and let the data make the decisions.

Mobile - You don't have to set up extra campaigns or Ads groups, you can just use the Bid Adjustments by Devices ( under settings) to increase or decrease how mobile CPC will be set.

For Mobile you want to be in the 1-2 spots, and should Up the percentage of your normal bid with the adjustment. With a good QS and the addition of Ad Extensions your Actual Ad rank could be higher and your CPC's could be lower.

Main thing is to be diligent. test what works for you based upon your target area, competition, and Unique selling proposition.

Good LucK