1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target and Exclude Location Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again, fellow members of the Adwords community.

I now have a quick question for you about location targeting.

If I want my ads to only appear for people in one specific state among all 50 of the United States, but  I also do not want it to appear anywhere else, then do I only have to add this one state to my list of target locations - and then I'm finished? Or do I have to both target this specific state and then go on to exclude all 49 other states in order to achieve the effect that I want?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Target and Exclude Location Question

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Michael,

Target the location for which you want to show the ad. No need of excluding locations which are outside of the target location. You ad will be shown only in target location. But, if people who are showing interest in your target location can view your ad even if they are outside of your target location.

(People in, searching for or viewing pages about my target location)- This is the default Advanced location option.

So, as you said you don't want it to appear any where else. Choose the Advanced target option "People in my target location", this will help you to show your Ad only to people who are physically located in your target area.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Michael,

Target the location for which you want to show the ad. No need of excluding locations which are outside of the target location. You ad will be shown only in target location. But, if people who are showing interest in your target location can view your ad even if they are outside of your target location.

(People in, searching for or viewing pages about my target location)- This is the default Advanced location option.

So, as you said you don't want it to appear any where else. Choose the Advanced target option "People in my target location", this will help you to show your Ad only to people who are physically located in your target area.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Quick question:
I do not add any Excluded Location in the list. Does it matter to choose either "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my excluded location" or " people in my excluded location"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You only have to add the location, no need to exclude.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thank you.