Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target & Bid OR Bid Only

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Community,

I am currently working on setting up re-marketing options for several display only campaigns. All of the campaigns include display keywords, topics, and interests & remarketing. The keywords and interests & remarketing are the same but some topics are different. I have noticed that in some campaigns when I select the 'Target and Bid' option, the Venn diagram will disappear but reappear when I select the 'Bid Only' Option. However in another campaign if I select the 'Target and Bid' option, the diagram will appear but will disappear if I select the 'Bid Only' option. 

I'm curious as to why this would change for two separate campaigns if they both have the same targeting methods with few differences. I'm also wondering if it matters whether or not it is showing. Below is an example of two separate campaigns. As you can see, the diagram is showing for separate bid options. When I select the other option in both campaigns, the diagram disappears.

Ex 1.JPGFor meeting.JPG

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
October 2016

Re: Target & Bid OR Bid Only

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Jillian S

This is one of the confusing settings on the display network, that I hope Google will take (in the coming future) the opportunity to update and fix.

Without getting into  complex math, the "target and bid" means the AND condition is applied, while "bid only" applies the OR condition.

I would suggest to use "target and bid". With "bid only" you can find yourself targeting too broad...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Target & Bid OR Bid Only

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Is your targeted audience for the top campaign larger? Like, by a bunch? Smiley Happy

Target and bid is the most restrictive, so that would explain why your available audience is too small to show volume if you make it too restrictive.

With bid only, your top campaign may have too large of an audience for Google to display volume.

The estimate tools are never "accurate". Are you accruing any impressions? Are your ads showing? How does changing the settings affect volume and performance?

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
October 2016

Re: Target & Bid OR Bid Only

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Jillian S

This is one of the confusing settings on the display network, that I hope Google will take (in the coming future) the opportunity to update and fix.

Without getting into  complex math, the "target and bid" means the AND condition is applied, while "bid only" applies the OR condition.

I would suggest to use "target and bid". With "bid only" you can find yourself targeting too broad...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’