AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target YouTube topic as a placement for display campaigns (i.e. youtube.com::Performing Arts)

[ Edited ]
J M
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
J M
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Adwords used to let you plug in YouTube topics as a specific managed placement (like the ones below) which would let you target specific topics of YouTube videos. You no longer seem to be able to load these as you either get errors or nothing serves. Is there a new format that I'm able to plug in that will do the same thing as the older format? I know you could plugin YouTube.com as the only placement in the adgroup and overlay topics.. but I don't want to do that as I want to target other managed placements in the same adgroup.

Old placement format examples:

youtube.com:Smiley Tongueerforming Arts

youtube.com::Law & Government

youtube.com:Smiley Surprisedutdoors

edit: note sure why smiley's are coming up.. but you get that format

Target YouTube topic as a placement for display campaigns (i.e. youtube.com::Performing Arts)

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @J M

You can use topic targeting in combination with individual placements (in this case, using YouTube.com as the website) and keyword targeting, which lets you choose the keywords that should trigger your ad to show.

Example-
You decide to target the placement newyorktimes.com and the topic Sports in the same ad group. In this situation, your ad will appear only on pages within newyorktimes.com that belong to the Sports topic. 

Here is a list of topic codes for reference.

Custom affinity audiences is another option- creating a custom affinity audience is an excellent way to show your ads to specific audiences according to their interests, whether they're gamers, pet lovers, or are interested in purchasing a car or in market for a home, and etc. 

Hope this helps! 

-Julia