Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remember this?

It was a much easier tounderstand format than the more complicated "target setting" under the Display Network tab.

My question is: I have an ad group with both Keywords and Managed Placements. There are also automatic placements coming from the KeyWords. when I look at the Managed Placements, the "targeting setting" column says "target and bid."

After reviewing this, I believe that by having both types of targeting in one ad group, I am limiting my reach. How do I change the targeting method to "bid only" for all of the display keywords and placements so that I can show up for EITHER, not BOTH? Must this be done in the Editor?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I understand you need to separate the automatic campaign from the managed placements campaign.

This way in the automatic campaign you can use only keywords and tweak "bid only" for those , no matter what placements "the system" decides to select and in the managed campaign when you select the placements and use keywords the following situation applies :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

( click on Advanced Targeting and bidding combinations )

Targeting methodsTarget and bid (default setting)Bid onlyWhere ads appear and what bid is used

Keywords + placements

Keywords

Placements

Targeting: Keywords
Bid used: Placements

Re: Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

On the display tab the is a "change display targeting" in green that lets you  edit bid only  / target and bid;

The link you included is broken, however I have found that the Venn diagram (the circles on the left side) clearly illustrates the differences in reach between "bid only" and "target and bid"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’