AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remember this?

It was a much easier tounderstand format than the more complicated "target setting" under the Display Network tab.

My question is: I have an ad group with both Keywords and Managed Placements. There are also automatic placements coming from the KeyWords. when I look at the Managed Placements, the "targeting setting" column says "target and bid."

After reviewing this, I believe that by having both types of targeting in one ad group, I am limiting my reach. How do I change the targeting method to "bid only" for all of the display keywords and placements so that I can show up for EITHER, not BOTH? Must this be done in the Editor?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I understand you need to separate the automatic campaign from the managed placements campaign.

This way in the automatic campaign you can use only keywords and tweak "bid only" for those , no matter what placements "the system" decides to select and in the managed campaign when you select the placements and use keywords the following situation applies :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

( click on Advanced Targeting and bidding combinations )

Targeting methodsTarget and bid (default setting)Bid onlyWhere ads appear and what bid is used

Keywords + placements

Keywords

Placements

Targeting: Keywords
Bid used: Placements

Re: Target Setting - Target and Bid Vs. Bid Only

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

On the display tab the is a "change display targeting" in green that lets you  edit bid only  / target and bid;

The link you included is broken, however I have found that the Venn diagram (the circles on the left side) clearly illustrates the differences in reach between "bid only" and "target and bid"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’