Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target Search Page Bid Strategy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

Is it possible to set the bid strategy to Automated:Target Search Page Location (Selecting Option: 'Top of the first results page') AND set up a max cpc?

For example: setting up the automated rule to 'target search page location' for 'top of the first results page' but set a max cpc of $75 so that if the bid would cost more than that amount, the ad would just not show? 

Thank you for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

Re: Target Search Page Bid Strategy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks @Nick C for answering while I was busy. It is a bit tricky, of course. Look at this snip:

Capture-sep22.PNG

Unfortunately setting a Max. bid limit can restrict AdWords' automatic optimization of your bids. Another important note is that  Max. bid limits will be used in Search Network auctions only. Beware of the Display Network!

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jillian,

Target search page location is an automated bidding strategy, automated rules are different animals. With target search page location, AdWords automatically sets your bids to increase the chances that your ads appear at the top of the page or on the first page of search results. You can set a cap on bids for any keywords, ad groups, or campaigns using this bid strategy; whether it is the *Top of the first search results page* or the *Anywhere on the first search results page* option which you selected.

*** Ref: About "target search page location" bidding ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268611?hl=en

Best,
Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @Lakatos

I currently have one campaign that is set to target search page location and when I returned a few days later (after switching to this bid strategy) to review the account, I noticed that the max cpc. bids had changed. I had not touched them and no one else who has access to the account had edited the bids. My only guess is that they were automatically changed.

How do I set a cap on the bids?

Thank you for your response

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Jillian_S,

When you set up the bid strategy using target position on page (found in the shared library -> bid strategies) one of the fields you will need to fill out is a max cost per click (CPC) with the given strategy. That is where you can add $75.

Let me know if you need me to walkthrough the setup process for bidding strategies targeting SERP (search engine results page) positions.

Best,

NIck
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks @Nick C for answering while I was busy. It is a bit tricky, of course. Look at this snip:

Capture-sep22.PNG

Unfortunately setting a Max. bid limit can restrict AdWords' automatic optimization of your bids. Another important note is that  Max. bid limits will be used in Search Network auctions only. Beware of the Display Network!

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Great! Thank you @Lakatos and @Nick C. The visual definitely helped. The option for the max. bid limit was not showing up for me but I see from the screen shot that you were in the shared library>bid strategies as opposed to just the settings tab in the campaign.

Here is where I was looking:

Example.JPG

Thanks again

Target Search Page Bid Strategy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yeah, that's what I suspected. You are of course welcome... Smiley Happy