AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA changes in Change History

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello! 
When I checked my "change history" I see changes I never did. I tried to filter by "tool" to see where this changes came from, but they don't appear in any category, only in the All-view. 

I see increases in bids which really mess up with some tests I'm doing. I wanted all to be without changes to have better statistics.

Could this be caused because the campaign uses Target CPA so google automatically changes my bids? My bids doubled! From 2 to 4 , from 15 to 30... 
I thought Target CPA could increase or decrease, but I was not expecting such big changes. Is there a % limit?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target CPA changes in Change History

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Daniela,

To the left of each change in the Change History area of your account, you should see the email address of the user who made the changes. Typically CPA changes do not appear in this area of your account since the Target CPA strategy changes your bids on an auction-by-auction basis, based on the likelihood of individual users converting.

However, those changes are the Max CPC set when you go into an auction, not related to the Target CPA you have set. Any changes to your Target CPA will have been done by someone with access to your account. Do others have access?

Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

No Google does not change the Target CPA Automatically, Google only charges you on CPC model in Target CPA campaign. And That CPC model is not shown in change history section, as it is charged based on competition, Quality score and real time auction bid, that google set during when ads enter into auction.

If it is showing that "Ad group target CPA increased from X to 2X " Then the corresponding email ID who has changed this.

It will show in the following way.

Bid Strategy1 .PNG

If you have enabled it first time, it will show in this way.

Bid Strategy.PNG

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your answers!

So, yes as you point out, the email appears and it shows that it was done by the account administrator (in this case the manager of the company), but he told me he DID NOT change anything...

This is what I see: (sorry I can't upload the screenshot for some reason)

Dec 3, 2015 11:59:44 PM

Ad group target CPA increased from UAH15.00 to UAH20.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:58:57 PM

Ad group max CPC increased from UAH2.00 to UAH4.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:58:46 PM

Ad group max CPC increased from UAH2.00 to UAH4.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:58:33 PM

Ad group max CPC increased from UAH2.00 to UAH5.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:58:15 PM

Ad group max CPC increased from UAH2.00 to UAH3.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:57:19 PM

Ad group target CPA increased from UAH20.00 to UAH30.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:57:07 PM

Ad group target CPA increased from UAH12.00 to UAH20.00

Dec 3, 2015 11:56:50 PM

Ad group target CPA increased from UAH12.00 to UAH20.00

And the list continues.... So there were changes in max CPC and Target CPA. If I look at times it doesn't look like a bulk action.

I'm totally confused by this.- 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Daniela,

There are a number of reasons that the changes can be assigned to someone who did not physically make them.

In this case it is could be one of the following two reasons:

There is either a script running that was authorised by that user, or there are automated bidding rules that were set up by that user. Both of these would have made changes automatically and attributed the change to that particular user.

Let me know if this is the case.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
So What is the confusion? You are looking change history at Ad Group level. That's why, you are seeing it in bulk.

Also, You can inform your client that they had changed themselves, or it may be possible that someone has accessed Admin Access and changed in the campaign setting. Would suggest you to talk to your client and update about this. If s(he) refuses for these changes, then suggest your client to change the AdWords account password.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Already checked, no scripts, no automated bidding... nothing to be found.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I couldn't upload the screenshot - but I was checking at campaign level.
Admin still refuses to have made the changes. I will suggest the password change.