Guide Me
star_border

Suspicous Behaviour from Adwords Visitors

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Experience with Google Adwords

Behaviours of visitors from Google adwords is odd. They are obviously not real customers. They enter the site, click one layer down into the site and then sit there at the collection level. They don’t browse around.

Other sources, FB for instance, the customers enter and you can actively watch them browsing around page by page.

I find Google adwords traffic suspicious at best. The fact that its pay per click makes me even more suspicious.

My two trains of thought:
- My competitors are clicking my site to blow my bid budget, so no actual real customers have a change to view my pages.
OR
is it a crawler that isn't an actual person but a program.

The above situations have me paying for a click that isn't an "actual" person looking to do business with me and yet I'm paying for the click.

Any advice?

Tammy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Tammy,

If they are display ads, then it is not uncommon (people make money from clicks on ads on their sites). You need to exclude placements which have a high CTR and no conversions. Also look at the countries the clicks are coming from.

If they are search ads, then you could use a 3rd party solution to capture their IP address, and exclude the IP from the campaign.

Typically people who are maliciously clicking on ads will use the same search query every day, so look for a search query that has a higher CTR, lower conversion rate, that is being click on every day. Pausing the keyword for a few weeks might be sufficient.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.  It is a search campaign and my ad only runs in Canada.  I will certainly look up the IP address and exclude the IP from my campaign.  I just hate paying for clicks when I know its not an "actual" real customer. 

Do you have any suggestions about a 3rd party solution to capture their IP and will it cost money to do so? 

Thanks

Tammy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Tammy,

All of the 3rd party solutions cost money. Just search for "adwords click fraud".

I believe ClickCease is the most popular lately, because it automates the adding of the IP addresses. I haven't used them, but the others I have used all do what they say and have similar pricing.

Put some thought into the threshold you determine for click fraud. Clearly the same IP address every day will qualify, but what about 2 clicks ever, or 3? You don't want exclude people who are researching your product / service by visiting more than once.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kind of sounds like someone is creating a disease and supplying the antidote.

Thank you for your help. Ill look into the 3rd party solution.

You have been very helpful.  I think I have a decision to make.

Tammy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Tammy,

There's little doubt AdWords visitors behave differently from Facebook visitors. I'm not sure what you mean by "click one layer down into the site and then sit there at the collection level." Sounds to me like visitors are making one page view, clicking on a link to another page, then abandon the web site.

Rather than blame poor traffic or competitor click fraud, I'd take a close look at the pages where they are going and try to figure out why they don't go any further.

Personally, I prefer the pay-for-click model over paying CPM for impressions. We all have our preferences. AdWords doesn't work for everyone or every type of business. It may not be the best choice for your business, but it's really not due to fraud, either competitor click fraud or bots. Google does pretty well at catching invalid clicks. Look at your billing tab to see if you have been credited for invalid clicks. Add the invalid click column to your Campaigns tab.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords