AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Suspended for a campaign deleted 7 years ago!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few weeks ago, my AdWords account was suspended with no reason given. The response I got in an email was that the website I did campaign work for seven years ago is in current violation of policies. Okay... I can understand current violations. However, I don't own the website and therefore can't change it. Secondly, I deleted the campaign for them seven years ago! Why is Google just getting around to this now?! I have given them so much of my time and money. This just doesn't make any sense at all!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Account Suspension

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 25
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello brihar73,

I have worked with issues like this previously, and I think I can shed some light on this situation. As there are multiple issues at hand, I have broken up my response into sections:

• The suspension

Accounts can be suspended for a multitude of reasons, ranging from site quality issues to violations of our Terms and Conditions. In some cases, in order most effectively protect our users, specific reasonsings behind a suspension might not be shared. In these cases, we are more than happy to submit a request to the Policy team for the suspension to be appealed. We are only able to appeal account suspensions when there are no Landing Page Quality violations on the account, however. I do not have access to your account, so I cannot verify this, but it is likely that you had a previous violation on your account from a while ago. If you did not work to resolve that violation and chose, instead, to sell off the domain, the violation would remain on the AdWords account. If, later on, your account was suspended, that would prompt the requirement that the domain in question be brought in compliant with our policies before an appeal could be requested.

The requirement that all domains on the account be free of violations is a firm policy and cannot be reconsidered, despite the specific circumstances of an account. If this is what happened to your account, the only way to appeal the suspension would be to first bring the domain in question into compliance.

• Arbitrage

It does appear that the domain in question is in violation of our arbitrage policy. Per this policy, you need to ensure that there is a significant amount of authentic content on your site besides ads. A good rule of thumb, as previous comments have said, is to ensure that the main purpose of the site is not to generate ad clicks. Ads are certainly an acceptable aspect of any website, but there must be an appropriate balance of content and ads to esnure a positive user experience. Please be aware that this is just a general assessment on my part and that any formal review would have to be requested through email or phone support. 

• Next Steps

It is likely, based on the circumstances that you have described, that you will need to work with the current owner of the domain to have it brought into compliance with our policies. Once you have done this, I would encourage you to continue working with the member of support you originally reached out to or select the 'Contact AdWords' link in the upper right-hand corner of this page to reach out to support again. 

I hope this information helps!

Thank you,

Brian D.

View solution in original post

Any live links?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi
That surely sounds weird. Did you have any live connects to that website? Was this just one of your clients and there has not been any activity between you since?
If there's anything you could think about causing this, make a note and explain it to Google. If not, just contact them and try to enquire about this professionally, stating your long history with them without any problems. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out!

HI brihar73,   Have you tried to contact support on this?...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

HI brihar73,

Have you tried to contact support on this? They are about the only ones who will be able to help you.

They did an update a while back that reviews paused campaigns. This is so advertisers could set up their campaigns and place them on pause while the new campaign is being approved. Deleted campaigns sneaked in with those.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

petebardo, that's very interesting. I have already contac...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo, that's very interesting. I have already contacted support. They're the ones who responded, as I stated in my first post. We went back and forth for days explaining everything. They finally told me that there was nothing they could do until the current site is changed and that "deleting ads will not solve the issue". I'm suspended for a campaign that was fine back then, but is in violation now, even though it hasn't ran for seven years, which, again, makes no sense to me. vekman, I have had no contact in those seven years and there are no connections, whatsoever. What a ridiculous mess!

brihar73; were you warn, back then, that the site might v...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

brihar73;

were you warn, back then, that the site might violate the Policy?

How did Google find NOW that you had 7 years ago a campaign, that CURRENTlY violates the Policy ?- Do you still keep any "live links" to this site?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

There were no warnings then because the site was differen...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There were no warnings then because the site was different at that time. Then the campaign was deleted, then the site changed (apparently), then I get suspended for it seven years later. That's why this is so confusing! And, as I told the other guy, I have no connections to that site at all, including links.

By the way, thank you to all who have been involved with trying to find a solution!

@brihar73 Do you have any idea, how did Google come acros...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@brihar73

Do you have any idea, how did Google come across that suddenly NOW ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

For now, I assume it has something to do with what peteba...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For now, I assume it has something to do with what petebardo said above, but who knows? When companies get this big, you can never get a straight answer.

>They did an update a while back that reviews paused camp...

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

>They did an update a while back that reviews paused campaigns. This is so advertisers could set up their campaigns

>and place them on pause while the new campaign is being approved. Deleted campaigns sneaked in with those.

That should not happen.  We're supposed to be ignoring deleted campaigns and adgroups when doing reviews, at least in my group's systems.  If you have any concrete evidence of us approving or disapproving things in deleted campaigns, please let me know.  (Pete, I think you have my email address; I know some of the other TCs do.)

I should note that approvals are handled differently from landing page suspensions.  I don't know if we look at things in deleted or paused campaigns for landing page quality reviews.  I wouldn't be too surprised.  But as far as I know, they're not going back seven years.  I've been assuming it's 6 - 12 months, but I don't have any definite knowledge on that.

For whatever it's worth, every time I've looked at one of these cases I've found ads pointing to the suspended web site that had run in the last 6 - 12 months and that the advertiser had forgotten about.  I have no idea if that's what happened here, though.  Support should be able to tell you.

Laura

AdWords engineer

As I've stated, I already gave all of this information to...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As I've stated, I already gave all of this information to support and they were not able to help me. I am the only one with access to the account and I have not touched that deleted campaign in seven years. The proof is on the account. I can also supply all of the emails that were exchanged, along with the agent's name and any other information that is needed to straighten this out.