Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Suspected click fraud via proxy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

We've recently started readvertising using Adwords and after a normal first week our conversion rate dropped off a cliff. It seems very like a previous instance of a competitor depleting our budget via fraudulent clicks.

We suspect they are using proxy sites to generate the clicks. Is there a way to stop out ads showing on for people searching for our keywords via proxy sites?

Cheers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonny S
September 2015

Re: Suspected click fraud via proxy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No Jonny, i dont think so. However, as i mentioned, if google suspects any suspicious activity, it will not charge you for it so you need not worry.

Regards
Rohit

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jonny, 

Possibly your remarketing list isn't big enough and hence it must have already reached the targeted customers in its first week. Due to which, your conversion rate must have fallen down. Usually in remarketing if you have a static list and which is not increasing (because of no advertising activities), this kind of situation occurs.

I would suggest expanding your audience size through other advertising activities (if you wanna use remarketing) and also look set a Frequency Cap at campaign level to avoid showing your ads to the same people again and again.

For fraudulent/invalid traffic Google usually doesn't charge you. Please read the article below for better understanding: 

http://www.google.co.in/ads/adtrafficquality/#click-fraud-and-invalid-traffic Hope this helps Smiley Happy 

Regards

Rohit Khanna

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rohit. Fair points and will check out that link.

We know audience is still there from past experience and because of contacts at other competitors in same market who saw no change in clicks/conversions during our 'bad' week (it's also a market that is pretty much always there give or take some seasonal fluctuations). Don't get me wrong though, we haven't ruled out that the drop off could simply be down to some legit reason even though we haven't made any changes to website etc and it could simply be us being overly suspicious because of the last time we were click frauded.

I was just wanting to know if there is a way for us to disable our ads appearing if someone was maliciously searching for our ads via a proxy. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonny S
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No Jonny, i dont think so. However, as i mentioned, if google suspects any suspicious activity, it will not charge you for it so you need not worry.

Regards
Rohit