AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

[Suggestion] Consider updating AdWords Help guide to include Clarification on Mixing Match Types

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've noticed the AdWords Help Center (https://support.google.com/adwords#topic=3119071) is missing clarification on mixing match types.

Based on what I've been able to find in the Help Center, Official AdWords Community Forums, and Google Search, the information is pretty fragmented or potentially outdated and could benefit from its own section in the AdWords Help Center. 

As I understand it, the only keyword combo that is currently accepted is:

• Broad Match & Broad Match Modifier types (eg. variable1 variable2 +variable3)

Is this the case?

There are other combos which are reasonable to combine, but for which there is no definitive direction.

If there are fellow community members that can give the official final word on this topic, I'd love to hear back. Otherwise, I hope Google will address this in the Help Center.

Thanks in advance and know that the Help Center is a great guide!

Update:

Further elaboration for the Google Copywriting/Info Arch Team - 

While the names "Broad Match" and "Broad Match Modifier" clearly indicate a relationship, be cautious assuming users will automatically conclude that they two can be used together in a keyword without explicit direction to do so.

The reason is...

1) In AdWords Help content/navigation,  BMM is presented on the same visual... organizational/hierarchical... "level" as the other match types (BrM/PhM/ExM). It makes it seem like it's its own autonomous entity - in spite of its name.

2) In the absence of explicit direction about mixing match types on AdWordsHelp, users may operate under the belief (based on incomplete and/or outdated info from elsewhere) that if BMM is its own 'autonomous' match type and if they can't mix Broad Match and/or Phrase Match and/or Exact Match with each other, then therefore they cannot mix BMM with BM either.

That's where I got confused.

Also consider making it explicit in the Ad Words Help guide that you can't mix Phrase Match and Exact Match in with Broad Match or BMM. (Before starting with AdWords, I'd done this in my regular Google searches for years and figured it was game in AdWords, too.)

1 Expert replyverified_user

[Suggestion] Consider updating AdWords Help guide to include Clarification on Mixing Match Types

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Moonshine P

>>"There are other combos which are reasonable to combine, but for which there is no definitive direction.

I think there is some confusion  here;

You cannot  combine match types within the same keyword.

The broad match modifier is not a match type, but a modification of the broad match, hence a word with the modification (+) and without,  within the same keyword is allowed.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The broad match modifier is not a match type, but a modification of the broad match, hence a word with the modification (+) and without,  within the same keyword is allowed.

Thanks for clarifying!