1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden PRECIPITOUS drop in CTR

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have no way to explain this.  Let me start by saying that I have a new account.  It's only been running for about a week.

For that week, I had a number of ads running at 1-2% CTR (Avg position 4-7) which just yesterday took a nose dive in CTR.

I'm currently at an account average of 0.07% CTR!!!

I've double checked my bids, and I'm at first page bid on most of the KWs.  Definitely there on the most important ones.

The only thing that changed in the account is that yesterday I somehow erased several ads and had to rewrite them.  But I used the exact same language, so it's not an ad copy issue.

My ad position has also slipped a bit, which I suppose could account in part for the drop in CTR, but going from 4.5 to 7.5 wouldn't necessarily account for an order of magnitude difference in CTR, would it?

Does anyone have an idea what else I might have screwed up or how I can troubleshoot my account?

-Mateo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Re: Sudden PRECIPITOUS drop in CTR

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mateo,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

As you have erased the ad text of your campaigns, due to this your campaigns may loose the Quality Score.
Also you have mentioned that your ad potions are increased. Thus try to improve keyword ad ranks.
If you not already added the Ad extension in your campaigns, add the Ad extensions in your campaigns, that helps to improve the ad positions and CTR. Also run the search terms reports and exclude the unwanted keywords that triggers your ads.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mateo,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

As you have erased the ad text of your campaigns, due to this your campaigns may loose the Quality Score.
Also you have mentioned that your ad potions are increased. Thus try to improve keyword ad ranks.
If you not already added the Ad extension in your campaigns, add the Ad extensions in your campaigns, that helps to improve the ad positions and CTR. Also run the search terms reports and exclude the unwanted keywords that triggers your ads.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok. Thank you Rakesh! I'll try those things.

I appreciate your help,

Mateo