AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Structuring ad group/campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there- I'm very new to this and am getting confused about the differences between an ad group and a campaign for specific shops.

for example - a shop that only sold sofas - if I make my campaigns to be 'sofa bed' / 'leather sofa' etc what would my ad groups be?

thanks so much for any sdvice

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
April 2016

Re: Structuring ad group/campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark S, as you become more familiar with AdWords (and asking questions here) you'll find there's rarely just one "right" way to do something.  Probably the most common phrase you'll see in replies is "it depends".

When considering Campaigns and Ad Groups, the best way to look at their differences is in the features that they offer.  The most important features of a Campaign (from a structure point of view) are budget control, locations and scheduling.  These features are not available at the Ad Group level* so how you decide what should be a Campaign and what should be an Ad Group can often be decided by whether you need control over budget, location or schedule for the products concerned.

So, if you sold beds, wardrobes and dining tables, it would probably make sense to have a Campaign for each of these because you'll probably want to control your budget separately for each.  Your Ad Groups for these would then be sub-sections of that larger category, so for the sofas you'd have Ad Groups for leather, sofa beds, fabric and so on, for dining tables (and wardrobes) you might have Ad Groups split by material as well.

It is very important that your Ad Groups are tightly themed because you cannot control which Ads appear for a given Keyword. So, if you had a single Ad Group for "sofas", your Ads would have to be quite vague because you don't know whether someone is searching for a leather sofa or a sofa bed (or a leather sofa bed!).  If you have a Group just for leather sofas, your Ads can mention "Leather Sofas" and you can send your clicks to a page on your site just for leather sofas.

Where the "it depends" comes in is where traffic, volume and results (data) become available.  For example, you may start with a single Campaign for sofas, with Ad Groups for leather, beds and fabric.  After time you might find that leather sofas do much better for you than the others, but your spending as much on beds and fabric because they're all in the same Campaign, so you might decide to split this one Campaign into three and have a Campaign for leather, one for fabric and one for beds.  What would your Ad Groups be then?  Perhaps for leather, you might split by the quality or source, or by the number of seats, or price.  For the beds, it might be something else.  Once a Campaign has been running for a while you can see data for what people actually search for, and you may simply have a Group for each common search term.  One for "leather sofa sales", one for "red leather sofas" and so on.

Adwords is not a static, set and forget beast.  A well-managed Account constantly evolves to suit the incoming data and the market.  So pretty much any structure you choose that follows broad guidelines can, and should, be modified somewhere down the line.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark S, as you become more familiar with AdWords (and asking questions here) you'll find there's rarely just one "right" way to do something.  Probably the most common phrase you'll see in replies is "it depends".

When considering Campaigns and Ad Groups, the best way to look at their differences is in the features that they offer.  The most important features of a Campaign (from a structure point of view) are budget control, locations and scheduling.  These features are not available at the Ad Group level* so how you decide what should be a Campaign and what should be an Ad Group can often be decided by whether you need control over budget, location or schedule for the products concerned.

So, if you sold beds, wardrobes and dining tables, it would probably make sense to have a Campaign for each of these because you'll probably want to control your budget separately for each.  Your Ad Groups for these would then be sub-sections of that larger category, so for the sofas you'd have Ad Groups for leather, sofa beds, fabric and so on, for dining tables (and wardrobes) you might have Ad Groups split by material as well.

It is very important that your Ad Groups are tightly themed because you cannot control which Ads appear for a given Keyword. So, if you had a single Ad Group for "sofas", your Ads would have to be quite vague because you don't know whether someone is searching for a leather sofa or a sofa bed (or a leather sofa bed!).  If you have a Group just for leather sofas, your Ads can mention "Leather Sofas" and you can send your clicks to a page on your site just for leather sofas.

Where the "it depends" comes in is where traffic, volume and results (data) become available.  For example, you may start with a single Campaign for sofas, with Ad Groups for leather, beds and fabric.  After time you might find that leather sofas do much better for you than the others, but your spending as much on beds and fabric because they're all in the same Campaign, so you might decide to split this one Campaign into three and have a Campaign for leather, one for fabric and one for beds.  What would your Ad Groups be then?  Perhaps for leather, you might split by the quality or source, or by the number of seats, or price.  For the beds, it might be something else.  Once a Campaign has been running for a while you can see data for what people actually search for, and you may simply have a Group for each common search term.  One for "leather sofa sales", one for "red leather sofas" and so on.

Adwords is not a static, set and forget beast.  A well-managed Account constantly evolves to suit the incoming data and the market.  So pretty much any structure you choose that follows broad guidelines can, and should, be modified somewhere down the line.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great - thanks so much for the detailed response, it has really got me thinking.

If I understood you correctly, perhaps an idea would be to split the sofa shop into campaigns based on geo-targeting by radius - 'bath' / 'Bristol' etc, then having ad groups within each location like 'leather sofa' / 'sofa bed'?

With this I would have to ensure my campaigns weren't competing with each other - could I still have the same keywords for each ad group as long as the radius' didn't overlap?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

I am glad to learn that you read the intro on: help page where your example originates from.

I would not say I am particularly familiar with pieces of furniture, however, would like to shed some light on the logic that governs how we decide about campaigns and ad groups. It may sound a bit complex initially, bu by the passage of time you'll get used to it as you learn more and more.

There are features of your account which can be set at only the campaign level while there are other ones that can be set only at the ad group level. (let's forget about account level settings now, like e.g. reporting time zone or currency)

A few examples:
Campaign level: geo-target, language, budget etc.
Ad group level: ad copies, keywords, bids etc.

Now we typically promote an item to a campaign level if we want it to be associated with its own geo-target, the respective language, its own budget etc.

On the other hand, we keep an item at the ad group level if the above reasons are not applicable. Ad copies, keywords, bids etc can be set at the ad group level. Ad groups housed in a campaign are themes that contain ad copies, keywords, bids etc but they share the same campaign level settings.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Mark, I started to write an answer before I saw Jon already posted. As for your second query, if you wish to market the same products or services it is important the geo-targets in your example do not overlap. What you say may sound logical because you may be financially interested in setting separate budgets (campaign level setting!) for your geo-targets like Bristol. Keywords, ad copies etc might of course be identical as long as there is no geographical overlapping.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark - Sounds like you've gotten a few good answers here about your specific problem. Some helpful additional advice:
1. Adgroups are just that: Groups of keywords that get served the same set of ads. As such, you should be grouping like-keywords together so that the ad that displays will be highly representative of all the keywords in the adgroup. Try to keep the number of keywords in your adgroup as low as possible. As a personal rule, I think more than 10 keywords in an adgroup is way too much .
1. Match types - best to keep one match type in an adgroup. for instance have an adgroup with all broad keywords, an adgroup with all exact keywords. these match types behave quite differently and separating them will help you drill down when you go through your accounts later to see what worked/didn't.

Fred

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello.

Thanks for your post - I'm confused however about only having one match type per ad group.

For example - I now have an ad group for leather sofa.

In it, Keywords that I have:
Leather sofa
Leather sofa bed
Faux leather sofa
Bristol leather sofa
Large leather sofa
Leather corner sofa
Small leather sofa
Quality leather sofa

And negative keywords - second hand, old, cheap

a) can I not use different match types for each keyword?
B) do you think those keywords are acceptable?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated with regards to this ad group - still very new. Thx

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon, when splitting an Ad Group, how can you redefine the products that should be targeted in the new smaller Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry Jon, having re-read the original question I can see this does not relate to Shopping