4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Structuring Campaigns & Adgroups geographic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im setting up PPC for a florists that target the yorkshire area. Im not sure how to structure it at all.

Do I make the campaign level Yorkshire?

Then do the ad groups and add exact keywords to do with the area e.g. ‘Florists York’?

E.G Campaign 1 - Leeds Florists
AD Group – Florists Leeds
Ad 1 – title of add Leeds Florist etc etc

Ad 2  - title of add Leeds Florist etc etc

Ad 3  - title of add Leeds Florist etc etc

Keywords( all exact match [Leeds florists] [Flowers Leeds] etc

E.G Campaign 2 - Bradford Florists
AD Group – Florists Bradford
Ad 1 – title of add Bradford Florist etc etc

Ad 2  - title of add Bradford Florist etc etc

Ad 3  - title of add Bradford Florist etc etc

Keywords( all exact match [Bradford florists] [Flowers Bradford] etc

(Campaign 3 – Harrogate florists etc )

Is this correct? What is the best way of setting it up for best results?

Hope Someone can help!

Thanks 

Sam

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Structuring Campaigns & Adgroups geographic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam, at last, someone local!  (I'm in Masham).

As I suspect you know, there's two approaches to location targeting.  One it to set the Campaign target to the area in question, the other is, as you've described, to use "location keywords".  There are advantages and disadvantages of both approaches.  The advantage of using Campaign level targeting is that your Keywords can be more broad - you don't have to rely upon someone actually typing "leeds florist", as long as they're in Leeds and type "florist", your Ad should show.  The disadvantage of Campaign targeting - especially in the UK and particularly in Yorkshire - is that Google's ability to accurately locate people is sketchy, mostly through factors Google has no control over.  Things are getting better, I used to be shown as being in Hull or Newcastle, but recently I've been shown as Ripon which is only 10 mile away, but it's still a problem.

The advantage of location Keywords is precision.  If someone types "leeds florist", you can be pretty certain they're looking for a florist in Leeds (although you do need to be careful which Leeds - you'll always need a UK location target at the Campaign level and maybe even a radius one to avoid Leeds in Kent, for example).  However, the disadvantage is that you need those terms to be typed, which not all people will do.

The answer is often to combine both methods, have one (or more) Campaigns using location Keywords (and an appropriate "filter" by Location targeting) and another (or more) using just Location targeting.  For this second set of Campaigns you'll probably want to use the location terms as negative Keywords (e.g. Leeds, Bradford, Ripon, etc.), but you may not.  Google will automatically pick the "best" matching Keyword for any given search so it's possible that if someone types "leeds florist", the simple "florist" Keyword in the Location targeted Campaign is cheaper, even though "leeds florist" exists as a Keyword in its own right in the other Campaign.

Does this help?

What sort of landing pages are these Ads pointing to?  Is there a strong correlation between the location and what the visitor will see?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Structuring Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there anyway you could give me an example of a campaign and ad group for each methods so its broken down for me?

Thank you for all your help

Sent from my iPhone