4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Strange location problem

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Apologies in advance for what could be a long post, but I need to explain the 'odd' problem I've accidentally come across. (if indeed it IS a problem)

I currently run a campaign that is set to geo-target three locations in the UK, and ONLY in the UK. (as that is oddly enough where I am based Smiley Happy  )

Now, some of my keywords are location specific, one in particular is [town name, followed by the keywords].

Now, that town name, I am aware of at least two places in the UK, where there is a town with that name; one where I live, and one in London.

However, when I move my mouse onto the text speech bubble thing for that particular keyword, in the list of my keywords it tells me that although my add is showing, it isn't good enough to appear on first page, however it also says, "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show", then "Location: [town name], USA".

Question is, why is it even mentioning USA, when I clearly am NOT targetting that area?

I've checked my settings and all appears ok, however although I don't think I should have to, I've gone and put USA in my excluded locations.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Strange location problem

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello PC_Tech007,

This is not odd problem at all. All you have to do is go to the campaign settings, change targeting method from People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location TO People in my targeted location.

Basically with this default setting your ads are being shown also to someone who mentions your location in his search query. That's why you're getting this kind of message. Maybe you can try different settings for different campaigns to see which one of these settings are performing according to your plan.

OR/AND I think exclude USA or that particular state might work aswell without changing campaign settings.

Alex

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
LOL, yeah, thanks for that. I have actually already beaten you to it, because I've been looking at this, sort of before and since I posted, and decided to put USA in my Excluded locations. I think it's probably the best way of doing it. I appreciate your reply though, thank you.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
You're welcome. Glad you figured that out eventually!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As an update to this query, I have not only had USA in my excluded location, but have now changed the targetting to people in my location only. I noticed that the keyword is STILL showing as USA, but I'm guess that could be be because it's taking it's time to go through the system? Watch this space I guess......