2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Sponsored Links on Chrome - Hardware Acceleration Menu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed that Sponsored Links were flashing "On" then "Off" and not showing up in Google Chrome search results since around February 2017.

I raised this on Google Chrome community and this was fixed for me after unchecking  "Use hardware acceleration (Menu> Settings> Show Advanced Settings > System menu)".

The question is does this mean that others using Google Chrome will not see Sponsored Link results if this option is checked by default?
If so it means that users that subscribe to AdWords could be losing out on normal Google Chrome search results to others that do not subscribe and given a higher ranking below the sponsored links that do not appear.
Mantra
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mnicho,

It seems your system has been infected with the Potential unwanted programs.

I would suggest you run Chrome cleanup tool and feel free to post your query in Chrome help forum.

These type of ads has no connection with AdWords. These ads are from affiliate ads.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mnicho,

It seems your system has been infected with the Potential unwanted programs.

I would suggest you run Chrome cleanup tool and feel free to post your query in Chrome help forum.

These type of ads has no connection with AdWords. These ads are from affiliate ads.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh

I have run the Google clean up tool and this did not find any problem.

The problem is that when Google Chrome – Hardware Acceleration Menu is checked, Google Sponsored Links do not display in the main page search results although links in the Right Hand column do display – Windows 10 Pro Version 1703, Chrome 59.0.3071.115.

Who is responsible for Google Sponsored Links? Is this Google Adwords or Google Chrome?

Google Chrome Community response advised that it was an Adwords issue.

Surely Google Chrome search engine should be configured to display Google Sponsored Links whether the Acceleration menu is checked or not checked.

I have not opted out of Google personal ads.

Is this a bug that should be reported to Google Chrome?

Regards

Martin

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I would suggest you share the snapshot of the ads. 

Also, share the link address, by clicking the right mouse button on ads and Copy the link address.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a URL link showing a search result for "wood preserver"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wood+preserver&oq=wood+preserver&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12242j0j8&s...

Similar results can be displayed for other similar searches.

This type of sponsored link does not show when Google Chrome Acceleration Menu is checked and search results that appear in Sponsored Links with Acceleration Menu unchecked do not show and are given poor rankings (not on first page) in search results when Acceleration Menu is checked.

I have a snapshot saved as a JPEG file but cannot find a way of attaching or showing this on reply options available.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The same problem was faced by me and later i found the perfeect solution,it was not adware but it was due to malware : https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/websearch/n_GTHveo2hs/SDt2mjDCCQAJ