4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Spending Money But Not Seeing Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to Adwords I learned about it reading "Four Hour Work Week" It talked extensively about testing ads and adwords. And using the great feedback of Google adwords to get this information. I then studied the adwords website, watched videos and listened to con calls. I was told by the person who helped me set up my adwords express account and ad that it would take about 30 minutes to start seeing results. I waited about three hours to give it enough time. Then I could see on google adwords express management screen that sure enough it was saying that I was receiving clicks and getting lots of page views. However when I tried to do a search on my ad keywords I saw nothing. Even though I had budgeted to be on the top of the first page. I waited and tried several more times over different hours. Still nothing.

I then checked my website tools and it appeared to be getting a couple of more visits than before but not that many. Then I called adwords support and was told that I need to wait a lot longer to see my ad. Probabably two weeks since my ad is for all of North America! I was shocked she was telling me this! The meter was running on my google adwords budget but I cannot even see any results to speak of. The next day my ad appeared once at the top of the google search but quickly went away. And now three days later has never appeared again. But the budget is clicking along decrimenting my money.

I am confused. I know there is a learning curve here. But this does not seem to jive at all with what "Four Hour work Week" says or with what I was told by different tutorials, and people at google. This seems to be not working in my favor. Any ideas on what is the right solution or path to take? It does not make sense that every time I want to make an adjustment or change I have to wait 2 weeks for results. This could take a really long time and cost a lot of money.

I was looking for an interactive and nimble system that I can make ads. Test them. Make adjustments measure and test again. For me an ad is no good if it cannot be measured against my criteria and my budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spending Money But Not Seeing Ad

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

If your ad campaign is spending money then your ads are being displayed.

First, you need a fairly generous budget to serve ads nationwide. I would guess that your ads are showing only intermittently, which is why you rarely see them when you search. (And the more often you search for your own ad, the less likely you are to see it. You should use the preview option on the Tools menu, instead of searching live.)

Second, I have no idea what "Four Hour Work Week" is but I would sincerely doubt any 3rd party information as to how easy or successful you might be with advertising. Every business is different and what works for one business might not work for another.

And, third, yes, achieving success with online advertising can take a long time and cost money. There is no recipe for instant success. 

Aside from those general thoughts, I would suggest that if your campaign is spending money and not producing results, you may need to revisit your keyword list. Your keywords may be set to include too wide a variety of search terms or not be as closely focused on your product/service as they should be. 

You don't say what campaign settings you're using--if you're serving Google traffic only, or if you're also serving Search Partners or Display network traffic. If you can provide more information, maybe we can offer some more suggestions?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

If the budget is being exhausted that means the ads are showing for sure.

I would suggest few things to rectify the problem-

1- Budget vs keywords - If your budget is less and you have a hugh list of keywords, this could be one of the reason your ads are showing randomly even if this is the case you should get results.

2- Search Type - Sometimes a newbie uses broad type search without knowing the consequences so I would suggest to use broad modified search for your keywords so that you don't loose your money on broad match type clicks.

3- What devices are you targeting ? If you want your ads to be shown on all devices than you should have a responsive landing page (All browser compatible) else the landing page doesn't open properly on mobile, tablet etc.

4- As you mentioned that its your 2nd week without result so I would also suggest to please check the history of keywords which triggered clicks. Most of customers loose budget when broad search is used for keywords and relevant keywords are showing the ads i.e lets say your keyword is "buy used cars" and this keywords is used in broad search your ad will show whenever any of the word is typed in Google search so suggest you to please use broad modified search and also don't forget to add negative keywords too.

Regards

Ajay Kinyal

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

google is not going to help you at all !!! They just keep telling you to spend more.I have found by calling <edited by a Community Manager as noted below> not only can they help you they will come out to your place an set it up for you!!!I have just went through this with my welding business. What a difference I have seen. It is like night an day. They can build you a web page with pictures an all. I feel like I am spending my hard earned money on something that works. Try <edited by a Community Manager as noted below> an atleast have the sales guy come tell you whats up. Cause calling Google is a big waste of time!

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines, in order to remove promotional mentions of a particular business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Everyone thanks for the suggestions. I take them to heart and I am working on making changes. I admit I have a long way to go and do believe in spending money to get a successful result. However I was told by the Google folks when I set this up how much my budget should be and my results should be top of the first page. This was far from the result of what I am getting. I fully expect to have to adjust my ads and how I need to place it. What I did not expect is to get such a poor result. None of the results I was told I got except how much I was to spend. In Google's defense after I made four different support calls over two weeks. I did get to a supervisor and a 2nd level support person and that definitely helped. I am using Google search, as well as search partners and display network.

I have already implemented some of your suggestions as well as the Google tech support suggestions. I reduced my keyword count as well as making sure my browser is compatible with portable devices. I am also looking into negative keywords.

Will update when I get some more results under my belt.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i also facing same prblm pls help me. how can i see my add in google search

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi Pradeep,

The best way to get an up-to-date answer is to start your own separate thread. Please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thanks!

Cassie

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This older thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.