1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Spanish Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently launched a Spanish campaign and were targeting just the Spanish language.  Traffic and calls were minimal so we decided to target both English and Spanish in attempt to increase our conversions plus the client wanted the ads to show in English as well.  What's happening is our English ads are trumping our Spanish ads because the broad match version of the English keyword has a higher quality score and higher bid.  How do we insure that our Spanish ads show for all of our Spanish keywords and not our English ads?

Thanks, Nikki 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spanish Campaign

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Nikki,

I think the best thing you can do is separate out your english and spanish language campaign into 2 separate campaigns targeting one language.

You can then add all your english keywords into your spanish campaign as negatives which would prevent them from triggering in this campaign. Then add all your spanish terms as negatives into the english campaign and this should solve your problem.

Does this make snese?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello nrbattles;

• Separating campaigns targeting different languages is essential.
  • Have you set your language preferences correctly? (No overlap)

Since, you never know what synonyms are behind broad match, and you can find the same words used in English and Spanish, I would take a different approach, to avoid competition among similar keywords. I would use the modified broad match in both campaigns. That way, you ensure that only plural /singular and verb formats are used. (No synonyms).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I  have sometimes wondered how matching type and languages work together.

I NEVER use broad match (often modified broad however) and I sometimes see arabic word/sentences in my search terms reports. Any guess on what happens there?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

David;

I had that with words that are universally accepted, and used in their Latin / English form(s)   in other languages. Mainly common, with technical terms. I had that with "carbon dioxide"....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
How about this one:
+expatriate +sweden
triggers ad when search query:
معلومات عن السويد من ناحية المغتربين

Knows arabic anyone?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

LOLL; interesting case!

What it says is "about deportees into Sweden" or something similar;

It looks like that "Sweden" triggered the ad. How come "expatriate" was triggered by المغتربين is not clear to me....

What are your language settings ? (Though AdWords does not translate keywords nor search queries.)

[Edit] : Not that I am fluent in Arabic. Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages close in grammar . I translated into Hebrew, 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
All languages all areas

Can someone call on an engineer or likewise to clarify this?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I will refer to Google, But just to make sure we will not find ourselves "foolish", Could you double-check that the query was not a long tail one, with "expatriate" in English?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not sure I understand your question. "Expatriate" is an english word. But it is +modified +match : )

No matter what, Google let a keyword in one language trigger a search query in another languages, which is strange in itself