AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Spaces in broad match e.g 'sandpaper' & 'sand paper'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If keywords are set to broad match what is the rule on spaces in keywords such as 

sandpaper

sand paper

Should you include both variants or does broad match mean you only have to use one?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spaces in broad match e.g 'sandpaper' & 'sand paper'

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
Both 'sandpaper' and 'sand paper' are equal. They are almost close variants. So, no need to include both.

Thanks and Regards
John Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Does this also apply for the broad match modifier?
For example if my term is 'coarse +sandpaper' will this also match with the search term'coarse sand paper' or do I have to add another keyword 'coarse +sand +paper'?

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

For the keyword 'coarse +sandpaper' coarse will work as a broad match type with its related word and 'sandpaper' will work as BMM which the words must be in a search query to trigger your ad.

Your ad will also trigger to close variants of the word sandpaper like misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings. so, no need to add another word as 'coarse +sand paper'.

While, the keyword 'coarse +sand +paper' entirely changes the theme. I hope you understood what happens if you add 'coarse +sand +paper'.

Thanks and Regards

John Paul

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Good morning.

For what it's worth, I would include both sandpaper and sand paper in the campaign, if this were my account. While they are very close to each other, they are not actually identical. It's possible that both variations will get impressions and clicks and it's also possible that the average click cost might be very different. (That is, you might find that one of these keywords has much less expensive clicks.)

Similarly, I would test both +sandpaper and +sand +paper if I were testing Modified Broad Match. They are very similar, yes, but not identical.

I would also use the modifier on all the keywords in my phrase, not just some of them. That is, I would enter the keyword as +coarse +sandpaper and not coarse +sandpaper.  

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*