4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Spaces in Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using broad match modifier for keywords. What is recommended in regard to adding spaces in keywords. For example:

+fund +raising is it treated the same as +fundraising? Should they be listed as two separate keywords? Is there a downside to using both combinations within the same campaign or ad group? 

Re: Spaces in Keywords

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sandy U

While it's possible it could be considered a close variant in a certain situation, it would not be in others.  A possible close variant would be the use of "fund raising" in a query because it is a misspelling of fundraising.

However, if there is a query that contains "raising funds,"  +fundraising would not cover it, but +fund +raising would.  You are okay having both entries in an ad group and campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sandy U,

Just to add to what David K. wrote, adding both both keywords means some more qualified traffic and gives you more control to raise bids.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response!

So... the first example, where there is a misspelled version of "fund raising", it would be treated as a variant and having +fund +raising would not improve the quality score of that match. Using a different example like +non +profit (instead of +nonprofit) would be pointless if the quality score does not improve. While "raising funds" makes sense, I might not want "profit non" out of sequence (nor with other keywords thrown in). So I would be better off sticking with +nonprofit, where it will match against both. Correct?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sandy U

I think you might be overthinking this just a little bit.  To answer your first question, it could potentially help having +fund +raising, but it does not hurt to have both in the same adgroup.  The Adwords system is going to apply it to whichever QS/AdRank is best for the specific scenario in question.  

As for +nonprofit, I'm not quite certain how that will be handled.  Non-profit is an acceptable spelling, and the - is parsed as a space.  So while +nonprofit should work +non +profit would cover your bases if it didn't.  I wouldn't worry about out of order unless it has the potential to be high volume and you know it is completely irrelevant.  "Profit non" seems a little odd to me, and I doubt it would be searched that way very often.

You could go ahead and add "profit non" as a negative (quotation marks are important here) so that your ad is not triggered when that permutation occurs.  It's best to start out making sure everything is covered, and then add negatives as you go along, compared to starting out too tight.

Hope that makes sense.