Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks extension changed?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello Community!

I just realized it's been a while since the last time I've seen Sitelinks with descriptions in Ad.

Just links and no descriptions.

Is it completely gone? Am I just unlucky?

Alex

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sitelinks extension changed?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Alex, 

Sitelink descriptions are still available. However, they are shown only when the keyword has a great ad ranking. This is decided by the system and we can't do much but optimize for keyword-ad relevance and bid appropriately. Here's a blog post on this feature.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hey Sumanth,

it really should be like this, but still. I've tried 3 different countries, different industries and still just links and never any description. I don't think there's a point in filling description to Ad extensions when top websites are not able to reach to the point, where they can actually show these descriptions.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

While I partially agree that it could be tough to show up for a majority of keywords, it is certainly not a waste of time or effort. You'll have to consider that the ad takes up all the space available for slots 1-3 when descriptions are shown. Hence, relevance, bidding, competition - all play a role here.

Have you tried searching for brand terms? It would be good example, as all criteria could be satisfied.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Well maybe when there would be a higher chance or maybe if you knew for sure that these ads are being shown 1/10 cases. But for now I cannot see any descriptions being used in Ads and it is for quite some time.

Yes, For example: Dell Xps 13, Chanel Allure, Mortage Calculator(not exactly brand, but it is industry with highest CPC, so they definitely must have their Adwords in perfect state.

mortage.png

dell xps 13 search term.png

chanel alure.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well, it does show up Alex but as Sumanth said it does need great relevancy and ad ranks. I often use sitelink descriptions with brand campaigns and they do work and fetch great CTRs. 

You haven't it seen it for long, so let me make your eyes happy Smiley Happy 

Here go you - 

dell outlet   Google Search.png

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Alex, Ratan and Sumanth!

I've checked one of my accounts, during last week I've got more than 1000 clicks for sitelinks with with descriptions, so they are still there.

By the way, does any of you took advantage of review extensions highlighting positive third-party reviews (quotes - not stars) ? I want to check this option but I hardly can see those when I am searching for something in Google so I was wondending if it worked well for you.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Hello Ratan-Jha,

Yaay, thanksSmiley Happy

well this one is good. But I do not think I can be relevant that much with for every single keyword. But still, starting to slowly get how relevant your description lines have to be. Thanks for this example.

Alexey C, - well you can see overall statistics for these sitelinks, but you do not know how many times your description was present with your sitelink. Just because you have got your descriptions there, that does not mean these are statistics for the whole package - ad extension + description.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Alex, you are right. Good point - I wasn't aware of it. Usually I was dublicating sitelinks to have 1 with description and another without so it was wasted efforts. Now I will create only 1 option with descriptions.

After checking keywords in preview tool, I didn't find any of ads with description in account which I was talking before. I've checked only 5 keywords which may be not 100% relevant compared to brand searches but I feel that's enough to understand your investigations.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’