AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Site links Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. Does anyone know why, when I pull a report at the highest MCC level, that clicks for sitelinks are much higher than clicks for keywords for the same time period?

I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance.

ebq H

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EBQ H
September 2015

Re: Site links Clicks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi EBQ H,

i believe you are making a total of clicks that show in the 'Sitelink Extension' report. You should not do it. 

I will explain the practical scenario here.

Suppose you have 4 sitelinks they got 15, 20, 12, 10 clicks respectively. Also suppose that the total clicks which you got for the adgroup/campaign is 30. 

Now here, if you make a total of 'sitelink' clicks, it comes up to be 57. How?

Please note that the count that shows on individual sitelink is the count for when it appeared with the ad and the ad was clicked + a direct click on this sitelink.

This is the reason, you will see difference in total count when you compare it with the total clicks in the campaign. 

If you segment the data by 'Click type', you will get the real picture. 

Further readings - 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Sitelink-extension-segment-quot-click-typ...

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EBQ H,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Do you mean there is difference in the report on account level and MCC level for the same time period?

Please give us more information and enable us to help you out. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I pulled 2 separate reports (both at the same MCC level, for keywords and sitelink ad extensions for the same time period and the number of clicks are significantly higher than for sitelinks than that of clicks. I can't seem to figure out why this is. I have excluded GDN campaigns to ensure the campaigns match up for each report.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

To be honest with you, I am still unclear on your question.

Are you saying that Keyword Report and Sitelink ad extension report have different number of clicks. If yes, then they have to be. Reason being that although your sitelinks might have appeared more number of times along with your ad, but the users clicking on sitelinks would be less than users clicking on regular ad copy. That's what I believe.

Does that make sense?

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EBQ H
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi EBQ H,

i believe you are making a total of clicks that show in the 'Sitelink Extension' report. You should not do it. 

I will explain the practical scenario here.

Suppose you have 4 sitelinks they got 15, 20, 12, 10 clicks respectively. Also suppose that the total clicks which you got for the adgroup/campaign is 30. 

Now here, if you make a total of 'sitelink' clicks, it comes up to be 57. How?

Please note that the count that shows on individual sitelink is the count for when it appeared with the ad and the ad was clicked + a direct click on this sitelink.

This is the reason, you will see difference in total count when you compare it with the total clicks in the campaign. 

If you segment the data by 'Click type', you will get the real picture. 

Further readings - 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Sitelink-extension-segment-quot-click-typ...

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. That clarified the discrepancy.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Glad, I could help. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+