3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Site help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I recentley tried adwords but only 32 clicks no sales. I was wondering if anyone could review my site and assist with any feedback. I admit Ive only had a few sales in over twelve months so any help is appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, John. You can post your site link here, and we try to help you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anton, Thanks for reply. Site link http://www.washbagstore.co.uk/default.asp

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi there,

I've checked the website and noticed that you have a range of products. If you've been using Standard Search Campaigns, my first suggestion is to go for Shopping Campaigns, as they are meant for retail businesses such as yours. You can watch this video to get a basic understanding of Shopping Campaigns and here are some advantages of using them.

To start with, Google Merchant Center is a tool that helps you upload details about your products (size, color, price for instance) through Product Feeds. You can then use shopping campaigns to promote your products through AdWords. Here's how to get started with Google Merchant Center, and here's an article from our community about Shopping Campaign Basics.

If you have been using Shopping Campaigns already, we'll have to get into specifics to understand reasons for low performance.

Hope that helps.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
John, I've checked your site, everything seems fine. Maybe it needs some usability improvements, but nothing critical And i think 32 clicks not enough to make any conclusion about ad performance, in my ads i prefer to collect more data.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi John, further to the advice you've already received, I'll second the notion that 32 clicks really isn't enough to make any judgements on performance.  Here's the math to support this idea...

One of the most important metrics in AdWords is the conversion rate, expressed as a percentage, which is the rate at which clicks turn into a conversion (in your case, a sale).  So 100 clicks and 3 sales would be a conversion rate of 3%.  There are no hard and fast rules about what is a "good" or "bad" conversion rate, there are so many factors that it's really impossible to say.  I have Accounts with a CR of less than 1% which still perform very well in terms of net positive profit, and others with rates over 10% that don't do nearly as well in terms of return.  This said, many advertisers will use a conversion rate of 2% or so as a benchmark.

So, if your conversion rate was 2%, after 32 clicks you'll only have had 0.64 of a sale - in other words, no sales at all.  IF your conversion rate was 2% you'd need to see at least 50 clicks to achieve one sale and, of course, this is not a mathematical certainty.  Sales rarely follow the rules so a rate of 2% could mean 300 clicks, with all 6 sales coming in the last 50 clicks.

So, you certainly need to allow AdWords more time and more clicks.  Not only do you need enough clicks to be a decent test, but you need your Ads to show for a long enough period to be useful.  Completed sales often use more than one click to complete (as the browser clicks once to review then again to come back and buy) and if your Ads only ran on Tuesday, when they come back on Wednesday and your Ad isn't there, they'll probably go to a competitor whose Ad is running.

How do you calculate a budget and a time?  For the maximum CPC, the equation is quite easy.  It's simple your maximum cost per sale (known as CPA - cost per acquisition) multiplied by that conversion rate.  So, if it is 2% and you cannot spend more than $20 per sale to make a profit, your maximum CPC should be $0.40.

For budget, you need enough to have decent coverage and enough to run for at least a week.  And I'd typically suggest aiming for a minimum of 20 clicks a day.  So using the numbers above, a budget of $8.00 per day, or $10 to go crazy.

AdWords - all advertising - is very very rarely about instant results and it's often the case that you must invest properly to see decent results.  Small sums here and there are usually wasted money.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon,

Good looking site, and I am not into wash bags! Smiley Tongue

I don't think there is a silver bullet of an answer, but I think your are getting so great advice so far.

This looks like a niche product line for a niche market. Do you have an expected customer profile, demographic information for your niche market. age range, income, gender, etc. You can use that information and further tailor your landing page. For example you can use the existing page for Travel Wash Bags and play around with a few variations that use different ad copy, keep everything else the same, for now at least, and see if you get better conversion on different copy variations. I think that the page will need copy that will resonate better with your target market. Is there something unique about the wash bag selection you have, that is hard to find elsewhere? Is it cheaper, easier to use, etc.?

Then you can create some new ads in you search campaigns/ad groups that highlight those unique features with a nice call to action (could be a simple as "Learn More" or something catchy, with in terms of service of course) and match the landing page's message. They keyword selection would be similar, matching the landing page's message and relate to the text ad, and have some variations of the keywords.

You can try also other marketing channels like social media, blogs, forums etc., and get some targeted traffic that way also.

Then you get to monitor with an analytics tool  like Google Analytics and see if a pattern emerges. You might see particular keywords, ads, ad groups doing well. You may also discover some usability issues along the way, like broken links, missing links or typos. 

Good luck and have fun!