4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Simple question please help, related to broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What happens if I don't use any broad match keywords? 

I mean, I want to make sure that every search has the words: +wedding +photography (or close variant -er -ers)

And so I don't see why I should have a keywords that says: wedding photographers 

or: weddings

or: photographers

The only keywords I'm putting in are of this type: 

Denver +wedding +photographers 

Denver CO +wedding +photographers 

talented +wedding +photographers 

And the like... 

Is this a smart approach? From what I see I have to up my bid to $2.75 or more to get any of these to show...

I'm confused.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luis R
September 2015

Re: Simple question please help, related to broad match

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Adding BMM is a smart approach because you get more qualified visitors, not visitors searching for a synonim which can be triggered by broad match.

Even if clicks seem more cheap with broad match the problem is "what amount of those clicks are useless search terms" ? So besides using BMM keywords also start using negative keywords.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no fixed amount it is a continuous auction between you and the other who target the same search terms. Usually there is room to obtain a lower avg. Cpc if your current quality score is low . For example if you have a keyword QS of 5/10 you could get lower cost clicks if you make changes to have a QS of 8/10.

Mainly write ads that obtain a higher CTR to raise the QS.

Also by adding many negative keywords your current BMM keyword will receive less impressions that do not lead to clicks and this will improve the CTR.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is your average ad position higher thatn 2 ? If yes then you can test some lower bids for avg. Pos. 4 for example .

Use exact match keywords like

[wedding photographer price]

Block na

mes of other brands or personal names from competitors with negative keywords, also block location names as you are offering a local service.

Look at the Search terms report : what are the top 10 search terms for which you get traffic ? Maybe now you are paying 3 $ for clicks on searches like "wedding photographer new york" while you are in a different city.

There is no need to mark every reply as an answer.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
As far as I understand from your question that you are confused about adding variants like plurals, singular..etc.

No, you don't have to add close variants as separate keywords, all the keyword match types (broad, phrase and exact) show your ads for close variations.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response Ahmed!

It's hard for me to word my question. Ok...
I used to do only broad match keywords:
wedding photographer
wedding photography in Denver
etc.

and I used to pay less than $2.00 per click

Now I want to stop using broad match keywords to ensure that every query is indeed looking for: +wedding +photographers

but I have to pay a lot for these...

should I use both types of keywords, or how should I combine them?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I got you now, it's still pretty much the same. Actually you may pay less when adding them as separate keywords since they will have a separate quality score and different performance.

Let me explain it a little much more, the keyword +wedding +photographer can be triggered by search terms such as "wedding photographer" "best wedding photographer" , each of these search terms has different bid, Google just shows you the average CPC for all the search terms. If you want to check the cpc for every search term separately, go ahead and check out your search terms report.

So, when adding one of those search terms as different keywords, it's still pretty much the same and indeed you probably will pay less as the keyword will have its own quality score.

For me, I take 2 things into consideration before turning one of the search term as a keyword, the first thing the traffic, the number of impressions and clicks-- and the second thing is avg. cpc that we were talking about .
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Adding BMM is a smart approach because you get more qualified visitors, not visitors searching for a synonim which can be triggered by broad match.

Even if clicks seem more cheap with broad match the problem is "what amount of those clicks are useless search terms" ? So besides using BMM keywords also start using negative keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Adrian. As a small business owner (photography), how much do you think I should be paying per click for GOOD broad match modifier keywords like: +wedding +photographer or +wedding +photographer in Denver
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no fixed amount it is a continuous auction between you and the other who target the same search terms. Usually there is room to obtain a lower avg. Cpc if your current quality score is low . For example if you have a keyword QS of 5/10 you could get lower cost clicks if you make changes to have a QS of 8/10.

Mainly write ads that obtain a higher CTR to raise the QS.

Also by adding many negative keywords your current BMM keyword will receive less impressions that do not lead to clicks and this will improve the CTR.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Again, great advice. I appreciate it. Though do you think me paying between 3 and 4 dollars per click is a lot?? I fell like I'm buying someone McDonalds just to look over my site... Smiley Sad
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is your average ad position higher thatn 2 ? If yes then you can test some lower bids for avg. Pos. 4 for example .

Use exact match keywords like

[wedding photographer price]

Block na

mes of other brands or personal names from competitors with negative keywords, also block location names as you are offering a local service.

Look at the Search terms report : what are the top 10 search terms for which you get traffic ? Maybe now you are paying 3 $ for clicks on searches like "wedding photographer new york" while you are in a different city.

There is no need to mark every reply as an answer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
More valuable info. I don't really get when you talked about "lower bids for avg. pos 4". The current ad I'm having trouble with is position 4.7 which is the worst performing ad I'm created, but that's because it is more focused of course.