Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Similar keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

From what I've learned so far I thought that similar keywords like dog's food and dogs food are 2 separate unique keywords, but today I was checking something similar on Google Trends website and the graph curve for both keywords is exactly the same. How is it then?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Similar keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

In answer to your question.... YES. Smiley Tongue. Those are 2 unique keywords but they are also both triggered by each other as they are close variants. As of this month close variants is longer an opt out option so if you want to show for one and not the other you will have to use negatives. According to google:

"Close keyword variations

We'll automatically show your ads for close variations of your keywords to maximize your potential to show your ads on relevant searches. Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. So there's no need to separately add close variations as keywords."

Read more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
If you are just looking at triggering for both search queries then one would be sufficient.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

In answer to your question.... YES. Smiley Tongue. Those are 2 unique keywords but they are also both triggered by each other as they are close variants. As of this month close variants is longer an opt out option so if you want to show for one and not the other you will have to use negatives. According to google:

"Close keyword variations

We'll automatically show your ads for close variations of your keywords to maximize your potential to show your ads on relevant searches. Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. So there's no need to separately add close variations as keywords."

Read more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope this helps

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
So there's no reason to have them both in my keyword list, one of them is just fine, do I get this right?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
If you are just looking at triggering for both search queries then one would be sufficient.