AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Should you create a new adgroup for similar keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I've been fiddling around with my campaigns for a while now, managing the adwords for my company. We're in the kids entertainment industry providing various services for the little ones.

There're a few issues we have which would be great if someone here can enlighten us on.

1. Should these be in a different adgroup?

Some of the keywords we have problems classifying are as follows

- Children Magic Show

- Kids Magic Show

While they sound the same, clients will only type on one or the other. Should there be two separate ad groups? I noticed that in the ad diagnosis, advertisers are ranked differently for "children" and for "kids". Is this a good sign that one should open a new ad group for the two different category?

What about the following

- Kids Birthday Magic Show (KIDS)

- Birthday Magic Show (BIRTHDAY)

Should this two be in different ad groups? If I've two adgroups, one for kids where the "kids birthday magic show" goes into, and one for birthday where "birthday magic show" goes into, the two adgroups will be competing with each other won't it?

So sorry if this sounds confusing. But I'm really having trouble classifying these similar sounding words, and I'm not sure if it will be best to keep them all in our place, or to manage them into finer ad groups.

Thanks for your help in advance!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should you create a new adgroup for similar keywords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Jasper.

If you have time on your hands, by all means, create one ad group + two ads + one exact match keyword for every search term which is relevant for your business Smiley Happy.

Ideally, your keyword should match the search term 100%, it should be featured in the ad (best of all in the headline if it's shorter than 25 characters) and your ad should be the most compelling of all on that page.

In practice though, when trying to create (and then manage) such a structure we always need to consider the overall ROAS (the one including the management costs as well).

As for the two competing keywords, yes, both "kids birthday magic show" and "birthday magic show" might be triggered for certain queries. But to combat that you can exclude each keyword from the other keyword's ad group, with exact match (plus "kids" with phrase match in the "birthday magic show" ad group) and then run search term reports periodically to make sure you direct the right traffic to the right ad group.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jasper,

In addition to what Calin said above, I would also like to add about the Keyword matching options under Advanced Settings which you have especially for the Exact and Phrase Match type keywords where AdWords include the plurals, misspellings and other close variants and might match to your keyword which is already there in your ad group. Of course you do have the option to disable that feature and might add the keywords in a new ad group to see how they work. Find more details around this feature here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

And as Calin rightly pointed above, you should always be keeping an eye on your Search Terms to make sure relevant traffic is reaching your website and you can fine tune the campaigns accordingly.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the reply. It helps! One more thing to clarify, should "kids magic show" vs "children magic show" be in a different campaign all together or just in different adgroup? I understand that there are some settings that can only be applied on a campaign basis, but in your opinion, will there be a need for the two be in seperate campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jasper,

i don't think you should create two different campaigns, rather you can create two different adgroups one having children magic show and another having kids related keywords..

Also you should put children and kids in the headline of your ads to respective adgroups so that you can score good on your quality score. targeting specific keywords with all match types in one ad-group is one of the best practice.

i hope this clarifies your doubt.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Jasper,

I would put the keywords in different ad groups within the same campaign. If it turns out one of the groups out-performs that other, you might consider, at that time, splitting into separate campaigns so you get better control of the budget split between each ad group.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords