AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Should my search campaign have lots of impressions and few clicks OR few impressions and few clicks?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just recently completed a campaign that ran for a couple of weeks and it ended with a 28% CTR. While the CTR is awesome, it makes me wonder if that is actually a good CTR or if it just looks good because I missed keywords or something.

For some more details, the campaign finished with 1,255 clicks, but only 4,353 impressions. While the 28% CTR seemed really good to me, it would have obviously been much more impressive if it had 125,550 clicks and 435,300 impressions.

Did I do anything wrong, or did I simply choose the correct keywords?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Should my search campaign have lots of impressions and few clicks OR few impressions and few clicks?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Colin,

28% CTR is really high, and usually only achieved by bidding on your own brand. 

You are most likely already bidding on one of the best keywords for your business. Expanding the keywords you bid on (different keywords, or broad match versions of your current keywords) will get you more impressions, but most likely at a lower CTR.

While a high CTR means lower costs per click (CTR is a factor in how much you pay), ultimately what matters is the results you are achieving (leads or sales) and how much they cost. Clicks and impressions are important, but your goals are what count.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Another thing to really consider is your conversion rate.  At the end of the day, that's the most important piece.

It also could be your ad copy that helped.  Do you have an awesome offer?

But, in general, yes.  A 28% CTR on a random keyword would be really high.