AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Should I have dedicated Display Network campaigns?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've spent many years focusing on Search Ads and often avoided Display Network and Remarketing - but I've read a lot of the benefits of the Display Network, but also the pitfalls.

I have a client with a very big Adwords setup, with all campaigns focused on just the Search Network. Should I change these campaigns to be 'Search Network with Display Select', or should I have dedicated Display Network campaigns so that I can compare the performance and make refinements more effectively? Of course, this would mean doubling what is already a very big and padded out Adwords setup!

Secondly, are Image Ads generally more effective than Text Ads in the Display Network? And when using Image Ads, do you recommend creating an Image Ad for every resolution to maximise exposure opportunities?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Re: Should I have dedicated Display Network campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Christian,

To answer the first part of your question, it's always a good practice to keep Search and Display Network campaigns separate as far as my understanding goes. You are right by saying that doing this will help you identify the ups and downs of display campaign and you can make further improvements specific to Display campaign only. But it doesn't mean that if you have huge Search network set up, then your Display Network set up has to be big to begin with. You can start with minimal investment in Display Network and then gradually grow it.

About your second question, Image Ads are typically more attractive as compared to regular text ads. But at the same time, they might be more expensive since they occupy more space and you might have to bid higher for image ads compared to text ads. Generally if you are thinking about image ads, you should have separate campaign or atleast separate ad groups for them.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Christian,

To answer the first part of your question, it's always a good practice to keep Search and Display Network campaigns separate as far as my understanding goes. You are right by saying that doing this will help you identify the ups and downs of display campaign and you can make further improvements specific to Display campaign only. But it doesn't mean that if you have huge Search network set up, then your Display Network set up has to be big to begin with. You can start with minimal investment in Display Network and then gradually grow it.

About your second question, Image Ads are typically more attractive as compared to regular text ads. But at the same time, they might be more expensive since they occupy more space and you might have to bid higher for image ads compared to text ads. Generally if you are thinking about image ads, you should have separate campaign or atleast separate ad groups for them.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the advice. So when when using Image Ads, do you recommend creating an Image Ad for every resolution to maximise exposure opportunities? I notice there are a lot of resolutions!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello,

That's correct you should try all the formats because there are different domains which accept different formats in Google Display Network.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Great thanks Pankaj so much for your help and advice.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor