1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Centre campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A client has requested that we do an adwords campaign for them and has given a £500 per month budget.

They would like to drive footfall to their shopping centre.

Having done some research, there are no other shopping centres in the UK doing adwords campaigns and i wondered if there is a reason for this?

Is there no need to run an adwords campaign for a shopping centre - is it not well suited? Is it best to spend the budget on SEO?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Megan H
September 2015

Re: Shopping Centre campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Megan, excellent and intelligent questions, I'll try to do them justice.

As far as actually advertising a "shopping centre" goes, I think your own thoughts are along the right lines - the very fact that you're not seeing other Ads is in itself usually an indication that others have tried this in the past and found it ineffective or uneconomic.  You will, in any case, have some difficulty measuring that success since you'll have to rely upon some form of coupon redemption to track visitors who came to you through the Ads and that could be difficult to organise (and potentially costly) for a large, distributed centre.  I also wonder whether people actually search for shopping centres.  If I want to buy something, I'll have a good idea which store I will be able to buy it in and I'll search for that store.  It may well be that the closest outlet to me is in a shopping centre but I don't search for shopping centres then hope - or try and find out - if they contain the store I'm after, I just search on Boots, or Halfords, or whatever in the first place.

This last may be the more effective way of advertising - to use the store names contained within the centre so that, for example, if your centre does contain a Halfords, when someone searches for "halfords" your Ad for the centre appears.  This would probably work but Halfords (and all the other major stores) are already likely to have their own Ads and tend to appear highly in the organic rankings anyway.  Unless you're in an area (such as a big city) where an individual would have a choice of Halfords' stores, they'll probably find their way to your centre anyway through the Halfords advertising or their organic listing.

Have you analysed your Analytics data (I'm assuming you are running Analytics)?  Looking at the organic Keywords people use to visit your site can provide a good base for paid Keywords, especially if you dig deeper and analyse their time on site, pages visited, etc.

It's perhaps worth an experiment or two - and don't forget about brand awareness advertising through the Display network, YouTube, and Remarketing for Search (which might be effective in bringing people back) but it'll need some careful thought and planning.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Megan H
September 2015

Re: Shopping Centre campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Megan, excellent and intelligent questions, I'll try to do them justice.

As far as actually advertising a "shopping centre" goes, I think your own thoughts are along the right lines - the very fact that you're not seeing other Ads is in itself usually an indication that others have tried this in the past and found it ineffective or uneconomic.  You will, in any case, have some difficulty measuring that success since you'll have to rely upon some form of coupon redemption to track visitors who came to you through the Ads and that could be difficult to organise (and potentially costly) for a large, distributed centre.  I also wonder whether people actually search for shopping centres.  If I want to buy something, I'll have a good idea which store I will be able to buy it in and I'll search for that store.  It may well be that the closest outlet to me is in a shopping centre but I don't search for shopping centres then hope - or try and find out - if they contain the store I'm after, I just search on Boots, or Halfords, or whatever in the first place.

This last may be the more effective way of advertising - to use the store names contained within the centre so that, for example, if your centre does contain a Halfords, when someone searches for "halfords" your Ad for the centre appears.  This would probably work but Halfords (and all the other major stores) are already likely to have their own Ads and tend to appear highly in the organic rankings anyway.  Unless you're in an area (such as a big city) where an individual would have a choice of Halfords' stores, they'll probably find their way to your centre anyway through the Halfords advertising or their organic listing.

Have you analysed your Analytics data (I'm assuming you are running Analytics)?  Looking at the organic Keywords people use to visit your site can provide a good base for paid Keywords, especially if you dig deeper and analyse their time on site, pages visited, etc.

It's perhaps worth an experiment or two - and don't forget about brand awareness advertising through the Display network, YouTube, and Remarketing for Search (which might be effective in bringing people back) but it'll need some careful thought and planning.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits