Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Campaign Custom Labels?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again,

with the new shopping campaigns having started recently, I intend to convert my existing product feeds into ones that are google shopping-compatible. However, while most other attribute entries are either required or redundant, the new custom labels give me some headaches, since an in-depth explanation of how they're supposed to work is sorely lacking.

From what I've gathered, the following applies:

- the new custom labels effectively replace older attributes like adwords labels (for shopping campaign purposes only)

- one can include up to five columns (custom labels 0-4) in a feed

- custom label entries should only consist of a single word

That's pretty much it.

However, what I have to fill into the cell (or if I can leave blanks), if I should adhere to some kind of sorting system (or if it's somewhat random) is left ambigious - a template with some lines of an existing feed and how this translates into the dashboard would have come in really handy here.

Here some feed example I created:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/34e0e5311913151

As you see, I have two pieces of clothing, and designed the feed assuming that all custom labels should be filled in among somewhat similar lines - label 0 being the sort, 1 being the material, 2 being a printed logo on the clothes, 3 being a brand. Yes, I know brand already is an option, it's just an arbirtrary entry to illustrate my problem.

1) Can I leave blanks or do I have to stick to the custom labels-order? (first 0, then 1, then 2, regardless of the nature of the entry)

2) Am I supposed to keep some kind of sorting order - which of course would be rather complicated if the feed consists of vastly differing products - or is adhering to it just a convenience for myself, while a single custom label can include entries of totally different nature (like "red" for one product, "videogame" for another, "hotseller" for a third etc.), and the only consequence would be that it would be quite a hassle to make sense of these labels when targeting products?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping Campaign Custom Labels?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Toaonyk,

Thanks for posting on our Community forum.  Regarding your Shopping Campaigns Custom Labels questions you posted:

(1) Can I leave blanks or do I have to stick to the custom labels-order (first 0, then 1, then 2, regardless of the nature of the entry)?

(2) Am I supposed to keep some kind of sorting order - which of course would be rather complicated if the feed consists of vastly differing products - or is adhering to it just a convenience for myself, while a single custom label can include entries of totally different nature (like "red" for one product, "videogame" for another, "hotseller" for a third etc.), and the only consequence would be that it would be quite a hassle to make sense of these labels when targeting products?

Answer } Yes you can leave your labels blank. Nor do you have to have your custom labels in order (see information referenced in blue below from our Shopping campaigns for Product Listing Ads Help page).

'To create a custom label, add a field to your data feed, such as “custom label 0”. Add additional custom labels as needed, “custom label 1”, “custom label 2”, etc. (You don't need to create them in sequential order).

Keep in mind

If you’re continuing to use regular Product Listing Ads campaigns, don’t replace the “adwords labels” attribute with the custom labels attribute in your product feed. This could negatively affect your regular Product Listing Ads campaign performance. Instead, simply create new custom labels for your Shopping campaigns.

Both “adwords labels” and “adwords grouping” attributes can remain in your product feed. They won’t affect your Shopping campaign performance.'

Lastly if I may make a suggestion, you may want to review these two links to better understand how how to setup custom labels in your MC product date & Creating a shopping campaign in general:

Hope this information is helpful.