3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Shall I use search network or shopping compaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

if my company wants to promote a certain product (e.g: rain boots), which google ad do you think is more effective? search network or shopping campaign.

I understand this question might be too broad, so I'm thinking of comparing from the following aspects:

1. Will shopping ads cost more than search network? (in terms of bidding competition)

2. Do you think shopping ad is better in driving sales? (i.e to drive more coversion)

3. If I setup both search ads and shopping ads using similar keywords, will it cause unnecessary double cost?

I never used shopping campaign before, so it will also be great if you can share some of your personal thoughts about shopping ads. Much appreciated!!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Yueting,

This is a great question. I'd love to help you decide which of these campaign types would be best for you. The important thing to ask is - what is your main goal? I assume it's to sell your rain boots. So, shopping could be the best option - however let's look at your points.

1. Will shopping ads cost more than search network? (in terms of bidding competition)

Search network CPC are almost always lower, so you can potentially save and get much lower CPA through Google Shopping.

2. Do you think shopping ad is better in driving sales? (i.e to drive more conversion)

For single products, yes it is often better at driving online sales. As long as your product feed is properly set up and optimised and your prices are competitive enough.

3. If I setup both search ads and shopping ads using similar keywords, will it cause unnecessary double cost?

No it won't. They are different ad and campaign types. Keywords also work different for Shopping than they do for search. They are far more broad meaning you need to manage your Shopping ad group search terms closely to get the most out of them. I would actually recommend running both campaign types side by side if you can afford to do so. Then you can test to see where you get the better CPA and overall ROI. 

So to summarise - Shopping is the best option if you are looking to simply drive sales of individual products. You just need to make sure your feed is properly optimised, and that you can afford to bid competitively while still getting a good return from your products after your costs are factored in. 

Your website will also have an effect. Make sure your website performance and design is up to the standard or better than other competitors in shopping. A slow or poorly designed page will mean people will be far less likely to buy/checkout after landing on your page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot!! The answer is very useful to me!