AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Setting up enhanced campaign with "dynamic" extensions...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Hopefully you can help me solve this puzzle here...

I would like to have an ad that when viewed on a mobile device will show the call extension and when viewed on non-mobile devices (desktop, tablet, etc.) will show the site links extension.

To make things simple - 

Ad1 triggered by keyword ABC - viewed on mobile device - display call extension

Ad1 triggered by keyword ABC - viewed on desktop - display site links extension

I tried separating this to two different ad groups and even different campaigns, but since both cases still need to be triggered by the same keywords I adwords alerts me of a conflict (One of your other ads is showing for this keyword.)

As far as bidding is concerned I actually liked having more control over my mobile bids before this enhanced campaign feature appeared, for instance, what action can I take if I want to pause my mobile only ads but continue targeting desktop users?

Thanks for any help!

Much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting up enhanced campaign with "dynamic" extensions..

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is an interesting question...

You may try to use "enhanced campaigns" and set two campaigns: one targeting mobile with call extensions (set a low bid for desktops);

And another campaign, targeting desktops only;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Shalom Moshe,

I tried what you're suggesting, I tried to set two different campaigns which are basically identical, but with the bidding set differently as you mentioned, in addition I had also marked the ad in the mobile campaigns "prefered mobile" while in the "desktop" campaign I left this unmarked. 

The problem is that I am still left with the conflicting keywords; Since both in both cases I want the same keywords to trigger that same ads. Not to mention this is just seems like such a work around to achieve something quite fundamental. (I hope Google is reading this). I understand Google is trying to increase their revenues by almost forcing advertising cross platform, but this is ridiculous. If you have more suggestions or thoughts, please share them with me!

Thanks and Chag Sameach Smiley Very Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Steve;

Have you set different bids? (For desktop setting mobile to -100% - minus 100%)?

And for mobile: setting a low bid for desktops and increasing mobile up to 300% over desktop. (You cannot eliminate desktop completely, but low bid probably will not put your ad into the auction).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Steve, can I pick up on one thing you said?

'...I had also marked the ad in the mobile campaigns "prefered mobile"...'

Do you only have one Ad in your Group?  If so, the mobile checkbox will do nothing.  This option only acts when there is more than one Ad in a Group and at least one of those Ads is not checked as mobile.

This notwithstanding it's always recommended to have more than one Ad variation anyway...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When i try to enter -100% in the bid for mobile i get a message saying please enter a positive number...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Steve;

• Jon raised an important point...Please comment. (I assumed you had only one ad...)
  • There is a scroll down menu  next to the bid value, that lets you higher or lower the bid by a given percentage value.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV;

• I have one ad which I want appearing on all platforms, with the only difference is that I want mobile users to see the call extensions and all the rest to see site links instead.
  • Where is this scroll down menu for adjusting the bid value? I went to Campaign settings > adjust mobile bid adjustment > clicked on the +0% which is there by default > a small pop up opens with a drop down to choose between increase and decrease along with a field to type in amount of %.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Steve;

See bid adjustment instructions in this help center article:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so i got the bid adjustment issue resolved.

But my initial issue is still unsolved, perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough...

Currently I created a campaign with a dozen adgroups, each ad group contains 1 ad only along with the targeted keywords.

This campaign is also targeted at non-mobile users, therefor I dropped the bid on mobile and chose to work with the site links extension.

Now I would like to have an identical campaign aimed at mobile users like the one I just described with the only difference being that instead of using the site links extension I would use the call extension.

I tried doing this, but then some ads/keywords don't work or show cause I get a message saying the same keywords are triggering another ad (from the 1st non-mobile campaign).

Hopefully this made more sense now...

Any help would be most appreciated!