4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Setting conversion tracking.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This is for my client. He is not able to redirect to a page after the customer makes a purchase. Basically we don't have a page where I can put a conversion code.

So what I did I made a Thank You page on which I put a converison code. Now we ask our customers to open that page after they make a purchase. This has been for more than one week now. Quite a few conversions have been made, still its not reflecting the adwords account.

Any solutions?

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting conversion tracking.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's hard to know what's going on from the details you give - but here's a possibility...

If your client cannot track the purchase it suggests that the purchase is not on your own site (otherwise I assume you could add the code) - so this means that the visitor leaves your site  - completes the purchase and then goes back to your site - at which point they land on the page with the AdWords conversion code - correct?

If this is the case then this visitor is basically coming into that page as a referral from the purchase site - and is not being identified as an AdWords visitor. AdWords conversions only trigger for AdWords traffic - whilst visitors from other sources might reach the page with the conversion code on it - these are not reported back in AdWords. I suspect that this (or a version of this) is what is happening here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply!

If a customer clicks on a buy button on a page located on domain targeted in adwords account then s/he will be redirected to a payment gateway. In PG account if I set a page which the customer will be seeing after purchase and is on the same domain. Will it work in that case?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ujjawal M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The problem here is that as soon as you redirect the visitor to the payment gateway - which I assume is not on your site - then you lose the tracking. When they are redirected back to your site, they come in essentially as a referral from the payment site.

However, most payment gateways understand how important it is for their clients to track their sales back, and have settings in their configuration that will (simply put) capture and preserve the visitor details - and feed that back to you along with the visitor when they return to your site.

The first thing to do is ask your payment gateway about this.