4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Setting a monthly spend limit for the account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me explain the situation so this would be more clearer. I have a client that I manage adwords for that has 15 campaigns. Currently the campaign is using a shared daily budget of $20/month so no more than $600/month is spent. My problem is that by using the daily budget it's still too limiting as there will be some campaigns that get more clicks one day and then no clicks the other day or just one campaign mainly getting all the daily clicks for the day thus shutting out the others.

Reviewing https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en&authuser=0 (Pause campaigns that have spent a certain budget partway through the month) I thought I could give each campaign it's own daily budget instead of shared and then setup a rule to pause campaigns when they have reached the $600 monthly spend limit. 

Previewing the results purposely with a low budget following the example to see if it'll be flagged doesn't appear to work as i should http://puu.sh/nAPBy/64205d1fa4.png. The account has spent over $50 total across all campaigns already yet this rule isn't kicking in. How can I achieve what I'm looking for?

What I'm really trying to do is find the best possible solution to stay within my monthly spending budget but not have one campaign use 50% of that budget while the rest have to fight to use the remainder of the budget. $20 divided by 15 equally would mean only a daily budget of $1.3/day each campaign but for some keywords I bid much higher than this and that doesn't work.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting a monthly spend limit for the account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Loma, how are things?

Let's go to your concerns.

Lorna G wrote:

What I'm really trying to do is find the best possible solution to stay within my monthly spending budget but not have one campaign use 50% of that budget while the rest have to fight to use the remainder of the budget. 

This happen because of the shared budget. Shared Budget can be a great feature to help you invest all the money, but you need to watch out exactly because it can prioritize campaigns with most demand or sudden peaks of traffic.

Two recommended solutions from my point-of-view:

1. Stop using Shared Budget completely and switch to manual control (an daily budget control on an Excel should help)

or

2. Leave the campaign(s) that consume the most out of the shared budget

The problem on having manual control is that as you already mentioned, you have very low daily budget for each campaign, each leads us to:

• You either decrease the numbers of campaigns
  • Increase the amount of invested money

Those are some points for you to think about.

Lorna G wrote:

Previewing the results purposely with a low budget following the example to see if it'll be flagged doesn't appear to work as i should http://puu.sh/nAPBy/64205d1fa4.png. The account has spent over $50 total across all campaigns already yet this rule isn't kicking in. How can I achieve what I'm looking for?

The idea behind the rule should work, but I think the problem is that over "Requirements" you have used BUDGET (which is your daily budget value) instead of COST (the actual cost of the campaign).

Just change "Budget" for "Cost" and this should work (you can find the "cost" inside "performance" on the menu).

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click