Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Set Bidding strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I currently have a campaign going. 'service +location' keywords only. Daily budget $25. I rarely if ever go anywhere near my daily budget. I only get a couple of clicks per day but they tend to be good quality clicks.

This campaign is set with 'Cost Per Click' set very low so most keywords are flagged 'below first page bid'. My strategy is that when the 'big guys' with deep pockets run out of budget then I come in and get a run.

However sometimes I would like to ramp up my spending for a day when I think there is an opportunity in my marketplace.

I noticed my Google consultant set their bidding strategy on his campaign with 'ad groups bid (auto) A$1.79'. My current campaign runs with 'ad groups bid (Max CPC) A$2.00'. Then I go in and left a few keywords under the 'estimated first page bid'

On days where I would like to get more exposure and increase my budget a little would it help if I adopted an auto bid and lifted my budget just for that day?

I don't know how to set an 'auto bid'

Regards

Michael J

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Set Bidding strategy

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

What you can do it go to keyword section and config a automatic rule to increase the bids on select dates. For eg if u need to increase bids by 10% on every wednsday you can config a rule for that. ( Refer below screenshot)

1.jpg

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Michael.

Your consultant is probably using the "Maximize clicks" bidding strategy: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268626?hl=en

You can set it as well, but it's done at campaign level, in the Settings section, Bid strategy.

When using this, the system is trying to get you as many clicks as possible within your set budget (actually up to 20% over it on any day but no more than 30.4 times your daily budget across a month). You can set a maximum bid if you want more control (otherwise you may see outrageously high CPCs if the system decides that's what it takes to get a click). However, please keep in mind that all the system tries to get is a click. It doesn't use any other smart signals that are used when choosing to optimize for conversions.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin
Yes I checked the Campaign Settings and found:
" Bid strategy Focus on clicks, automatic bidding, no CPC bid limit Edit" (Google consultants Campaign)
So I am not sure where the 'ad groups bid (auto) A$1.79' is generated from the actual Ad Group within this campaign.

Actually I see where I am getting confused. I have two sections

Campaign with Settings then
Ad Group which takes its Bid Strategy from the Campaign settings level.

I clicked on 'edit' in Bid Strategy and it lets me select "Enable Enhanced CPC".

So if I select Enhanced CPC I will get wiped out pretty quick wont I. Some of my Keywords have a first Position estimate of A$25 per click! That's my budget for the day in one click.

Regards
Michael J

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello.

The auto: 1.79, in case you don't have a current CPC limit set, may be generated from the last CPC limit set. That's how the system acts in my case. In another campaign, it shows me the current CPC limit: auto:1.00.

If you want to use Enhanced CPC, you need manual bids and the system will adjust them in order to bring you clicks that might give you more conversions (and not necessarily clicks).

What you can try is to set a low CPC limit and see what you get during the course of the day. The Dimensions tab is very helpful here if you look at time of the day. You can make some adjustments, wait for a few hours and if you don't get clicks, raise the CPC. Rinse and repeat until you're able to use your daily budget

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.